Assembly Line Photos & Video

march

Reaction score
Just something that I came across, from the 1976 assembly line. An NYB in front and a Newport behind it. Notice how they covered the grille in black.

upload_2018-6-24_13-30-10.png

Not an assy line photo. It's a scene from the movie Car Wash.
It's also think it's a 75 Imperial.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification.
I wonder why the wheel covers were removed?
It has the wrong hood ornament for an Imperial

As I recall, the selling dealer installed the wheel covers back then. I think they came in the trunk. That black stuff over the grille has me wondering if it really is an assembly plant. The headlight cover logo looks more like Chrysler than Imperial.

I found the photo on the web last year. I always thought it was an assembly plant.
upload_2018-6-24_14-3-33.png

While searching for the source of the above photo, I found this one, and what appears to be a 1967 assembly line below it.

1976.jpg

1964.jpg

A few more. The first two photos appear to have 1973's ready for delivery and a few 1974's showing up in the parking lot.

26169115_846111725560936_4157747807745247907_n.jpg

26169115_846111725560936_4157747807745247907_n.jpg

This is the caption:
"1973 all the Big Body Chrysler's at the Chrysler Jefferson Plant.. Peter Dudley shared
Detroit Terminal Railroad loads new cars at Chrysler's Jefferson Avenue Assembly Plant, 1973"

canada-plant.jpg
fenders.jpg
Photo08.jpg
workers-at-fords-car-factory-in-1950s-E0B3PD.jpg

final-line.jpg

f01a0e1618d721beb30b33e8cc294b82--michigan-cars-and-trucks.jpg

Where in the hell did you get that?

It's very likely a plant photo. I won't say for sure because different areas of the plant look wildly different. The black covering is probably to prevent in-system damage, it could even have to do with cancelling reflections when aiming headlights. I say that only because the car behind it has parking lights turned on.

Wheel covers, center caps, trim rings were packaged and "put" into the trunks. Non-power radio antenna masts were sometimes put on the inside of the deck lid with a wide piece of inexpensive tape. Valve stem extensions were in the glove compartment, in a small plastic bag. Dealers put all of those things onto the vehicles during "Pre-Delivery Inspection" or "Make Ready'.

I'll agree that "the black" on the grille was probably to protect the plastic chrome of the grilles. On Lincoln Mark IVs, I was surprised when I was told that the chrome grille shells were plastic. We found some on a L-M new car lot, that apparently hadn't been through make ready that had this hard tar-like finish protector on them. I believe it washed off? Underneath was a chromed plastic grille shell.

Some neat pictures! Thanks for posting.

CBODY67

I'll agree that "the black" on the grille was probably to protect the plastic chrome of the grilles.

The '78 C's (thus until the very end) were one of the last cars using a real metal grille. They even advertised it as a feature! (Of course the truth was that the dollars didn't exist to re-tool it.)

That's another reason I think it might have served a different purpose. Plants have a lot of anti-ISD fixtures that get recycled from the start of one department and the end of another, never being seen by the public. In a high-volume plant, carrying that stuff back/forth can be an entire job!

Thank-you!
So, the photo that I posted of the white NYB, actually came from a quick video of the 1976 Chrysler assembly plant, which can be seen at 2:47 in. It's actually better than I thought!

In addition, the video shows 1975 Imperials and Chryslers in the parking lot, apparently waiting to be shipped while they're building the 1976 NYB's & Newports.

The full video can be seen here:

Last edited:
Anyways...
Here is the portion of the video with Chrysler's old Jefferson Av. assembly plant sometime in 1975. It runs a tad fast, because who wants to see a Detroit Chrysler factory in a Delorean video, anyways?
-I do!

So...
I've slowed it down and edited it, so that it now shows just the old Jefferson plant, with at least one brand new Imperial, one Gran Fury, and many Chryslers awaiting delivery outside, PLUS 1976 Newports and NYB's being assembled inside.
To enlarge, select full screen mode in the bottom right corner of the video. It looks like this:
upload_2018-6-25_8-8-23.png

Last edited:
I wonder why the wheel covers were removed?
It has the wrong hood ornament for an Imperial
Wheelcovers were shipped off the car, in the trunk to be installed by the selling dealer.

If t his is from 1976, then it would be NYB. Might be scene from a movie, but it's still an assembly line. Looks like final car.

Thanks for posting this I love this history of car manufacturing! It's in my blood... not literally of course.:rolleyes:

That car on the first pic is definately a NYB.

Being a huge fan of DeSoto's this picture is kinda sad. Had to be one of the last ones rolling off the line:(
f01a0e1618d721beb30b33e8cc294b82-michigan-cars-and-trucks-jpg.jpg

Back