Axle adjuster 69 300

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get a right Axle end play adjuster?
My axle was making noise and I changed all the bearings. I adjusted the right axle and the adjuster out almost all the way. Put the lock on it and 50 miles later the lock was bent and the adjuster had turned itself off. It appears the adjuster is worn out and the adjuster tips are so burnt up they keep grabbing the axle. The inner tangs are so worn they are riding on the outside of the axle just like the outer tangs.
OR is this the time to go with green bearings and do green bearings eliminate the adjuster?

Did you adjust it correctly?
Have you done this end play adjustment job before, with success?

Were both rear wheels off the ground?
Did you measure the end play when done?
How much end play did it have then?
How much end play does it have now?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to get a right Axle end play adjuster?
My axle was making noise and I changed all the bearings. I adjusted the right axle and the adjuster out almost all the way. Put the lock on it and 50 miles later the lock was bent and the adjuster had turned itself off. It appears the adjuster is worn out and the adjuster tips are so burnt up they keep grabbing the axle. The inner tangs are so worn they are riding on the outside of the axle just like the outer tangs.
OR is this the time to go with green bearings and do green bearings eliminate the adjuster?
Not sure why you adjusted the axle all the way out. Properly adjusted, the axle should have only a tiny amount of in/out play. "Out almost all the way" seems like way to much.
Pictures of the tangs would help.
Normal on my 1970 Fury Convertible 8.75 rear
DSC01717.JPGDSC01864.JPGDSC01869.JPGDSC02154 Axle Shaft End Play.JPGDSC02155.JPGDSC02160.JPG

I couldn't get proper clearance until the adjuster was almost all the way out.
Your inner tangs are on the inside and mine were on the outside. I took a heavy punch and bent them back in and now seems to work but adjuster is way out. At least over a 1/4 inch. I rechecked bearings and they were pressed in right place.

I couldn't get proper clearance until the adjuster was almost all the way out.
Your inner tangs are on the inside and mine were on the outside. I took a heavy punch and bent them back in and now seems to work but adjuster is way out. At least over a 1/4 inch. I rechecked bearings and they were pressed in right place.
I'll get a picture

Did you adjust it correctly?
Have you done this end play adjustment job before, with success?

Were both rear wheels off the ground?
Did you measure the end play when done?
How much end play did it have then?
How much end play does it have now?
Yes. Done before. Axle was super sloppy, didn't measure, and noisy. Got timkens pressed on both axles. Set right Axle at .018. spun it in air. Ok. Took a 20 mile ride and axle seal was leaking. Took wheel off and end play was at least 1/2". Adjuster lock was bent out and adjuster backed in. Reset to .018. adjuster at least 5 threads out. Put 2 locks on it and bent tangs back in and after 50 miles is still ok. PS. Mechanic for 35 years. Just never experienced this or ever seen an adjuster so bent out.

Did you have both wheels off the ground when adjusting the first time? This is important to answer the question.

So you are now all the way out with 1/2" play. Well then what does that tell you, turn it back in.
Both axles butt up against a floating pin in the center of the differential. They work together like one solid piece, so one side adjusts both bearings.

You can't do this correctly with one wheel on the ground.

Both wheels off the ground. Following service manual.
No, I was half inch out when the lock broke and the adjuster turned itself back off.
I have .018 after adjusting out almost all the way.

What's the purpose of the adjuster? Why isn't right Axle set up same as left?
Trust me, not being a smartass.....and im no mechanic at all. You need to study the service manual closely. When you set the end play, it is the total play for BOTH axles and the center spacer..... Even in the old days before the adjuster, the shim pack really only needed to be on one side to make your .018".

Back