B block cable tach drive distributor

redjim

Reaction score
Looking for a B block mechanical tach drive distributor, with the parts to attach the cable
I’ve only seen RB and small block on the interweb, can be any brand, prestolite, Mallory, whatever, ideally electronic with the mechanical tach drive and a vacuum advance
I don’t even know if such an animal exists
This is for a vintage project, I have the tach and console out of a 61’ G
Thanks for any information. Jim

Mopar Performance used to sell and adapter tube to use a RB (longer shaft/housing) distributor on a B block. Spaced the distributor up a bit. Had the needed gaskets/seals on the ends. Worked good. Had a longer hold-down clamp/bolt for it, too.

CBODY67

Possibly in points. Definitely have them in RB and also the adapter Cbody mentioned if needed. #00 cars that came with them were usually 413 engines. PM me if interested.

That’s why the question, I was hoping for one that just fit instead of using an adapter, no hurry on this part for sure so I’ll keep looking, thanks guys

Just thinking out loud... I think you can cut down an RB distributor shaft to B length. Just have to be sure the tang is in the right spot.

Accell made low deck tach drive distributors. I have a DEI version converted to a Pertronix and a dual ooint that I never finished converting. From memory there was never a p/n in the DC catalogs for a low deck tach drive model in cast iron or aluminum.

Do you have any kind of part number on that Accell? Sounds like what I’m looking for, if not electronic then something that can be converted

Yup from what I can find Mopar never made one. No idea on the other brands, biggest thing is make sure the curve is close and that the drive uses the Mopar cable has a special end on it different from say Ford or GM. Also if you want vacuum advance you have to go back to mid 60's and back 300 cars. I really do not recommend cutting the shaft down can lead to fitment issues.

Last edited:
And just thinking about this the only way you will get electronic in it is with a petronix unit also.

There is a Mallory tach drive dist. on Ebay that fits low block engines. It needs some rebuilding but looks like it could be made to work. Getting a cable to fit it might be a challenge.

There is a Mallory tach drive dist. on Ebay that fits low block engines. It needs some rebuilding but looks like it could be made to work. Getting a cable to fit it might be a challenge.

That is not a functional mechanical tach drive unit. It is missing the tack drive internals : / Buyer beware

If I was going to run a tach drive distributor I'd pick up an aluminum DC rb tach drive distributor and run the spacer. It's easier to work on the engine with a little extra clearance between the cap and passenger valve cover.

Luckily there is a place in texas that makes tang driver adapters (and much, much more) needed for a DC tach drive unless you stick with a SW tach. From memory the Accell dist uses a square drive and so does my Moroso (Jones-Motrola) tach.

Last edited:
Its the drive on the dist itself thats different, most use a hex of different sizes, of course Mopar has for the best description like a tang/flag looking end. The tachs are all the same hex from the ones I have had. MP, SW Moroso The MP electronic is a great unit, really fast curve and of course you are stuck with one 15 degree cam plate since of course it is one of a kind also. Why no idea.

1727434981344.png

Last edited:
To help with information, this will be going on a 68’ 383 driver that I plan to eventually build to 400 hp, nothing radical at all, the application will be a highway geared 59’ Dodge and everything has to appear vintage at a glance
My default is an old 300 F,G or H 413 type distributor with vacuum advance then add pertronix or some other brand module
Would you just need the donut spacer by itself or would you also need something for the shaft end?

Back