BEST OCTANE BOOSTER? HOME MADE EVEN?

A gallon or 2 of E85 will bring you up a few numbers. Just make sure you run it out before winter storage.

You would have to jet up a few numbers probably for that much ethanol but that would dispatch the rattle for sure.

Kevin

You could buy a drum of race gas and mix it in.

Octane Mix Calculator - Wallace Racing

I've never seen any good results from dumping in a can of "octane booster". Any chemical that you mix in, that will actually do anything, is something you don't want to get on you. I read something once about chemicals... If it's on you, it's in you.

If you're near an airport, there's 100LL av gas. I've used it at 10 to 20% with premium unleaded. It about $4.25 a gallon here in southeastern PA

If you're near an airport, there's 100LL av gas. I've used it at 10 to 20% with premium unleaded. It about $4.25 a gallon here in southeastern PA
Some even have 110LL, at a slightly higher cost of course!

Just curious, might those de-icing agents be alcohol-based?

I used to use this stuff in my modified turbo MR2 and it allowed me to run higher boost and slightly more advanced timing before onset of knock. But I just found a site that did testing on a bunch of boosters and this only came in 5th. https://nitrous.com.au/octane-booster-shootout/
upload_2020-11-8_7-30-45.png

Also, regarding water/meth injection, that can raise octane too, but not as much as injecting 100% methanol. I've been there/done that and, at least in my experience, I got more power injecting 100% methanol than 50/50. Once E85 became available to me locally, I put a flex fuel sensor on it and got it tuned with straight E85 and surprisingly (or not) it made almost exactly the same power on E85 as 93 octane+methanol injection. 335whp on 93 at 17psi, 390 on E85, 394 on 93+meth at 23psi.

The nice thing about meth or water/meth injection is you only use it when you need it. With race gas, additives, etc. you're burning them all the time even when you're just crusing.

Folks shouldn't introduce odd hydrocarbons into their gasoline without CAREFUL RESEARCH. People prize good high OCTANE precisely because THERE REALLY IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THIS ALKANE! Alkanes have a specific enthalpy to each one, and consist of SINGLE C-C bonds surrounding the rest of the carbons with simple hydrogen. The ONLY substitute for octane in my book would be a methyl heptane (7 carbon with 1 extra carbon attached to one of the 5 middle Cs, thus the methyl-designation) or an ETHYL hexane which would have 2 carbons strung to one of the four middle ones. Any other isomers than these will deviate too far from the simple 8 carbon, single bonded chain and its energy properties.

Suffice to say, damned TOLUENE, like NAPTHALENE* DISSOLVED IN METHANOL ("hillbilly octane"), BENZENE, CAMPHOR and other sundry aromatics might temporarily get an engine to run hot and hard, but they mostly will wreck one, leaving EXTREMELY CARCINOGENIC RESIDUES to remove.

I say stick with aviation gasoline as an octane rich source. One can blend to whatever level desired below the highest octane source purity. The one great obstacle to this approach lies in the fact that premium crude mineral oil, the "light" or "sweet" crude once pumped from Pennsylvania, Texas and Libya, no longer abounds so in those places as it did in the days of the C body. I think it should be relatively easy to synthesize octane from methane, but this may become politically impossible for environmental reasons....

Some even have 110LL, at a slightly higher cost of course!

I think its best to stay away from that aviation crap. It's nasty and should have been outlawed decades ago. 100LL and 110LL has lead in it, just like almost all prop plane fuel. Lead has been proven for the rise in autism and learning disabilities. Lead mutates human DNA structure and therefore offspring are affected for generations.

This info is nothing new. In the 1780's Benjamin Franklin studied why lead mine workers were having mental issues/violent outbreaks and died early. After autopsies, Ben concluded lead should be avoided. Many "lead mine kids" were labeled "slow learners" during the 1800's, before the US govt forced lead companies to enact safety protocols.

Also 100 and 110LL av gas is labeled "low lead", but I think they're comparing it to 1930's aviation. Comparing it to 1960's cars, 100 and 110LL has 1.5 times the lead found in leaded gasoline at that time. It sucks that prop planes still go over our houses and food and sprinkle stupid juice all over us.

Last edited:
I think its best to stay away from that aviation crap. It's nasty and should have been outlawed decades ago. 100LL and 110LL has lead in it, just like almost all prop plane fuel. Lead has been proven for the rise in autism and learning disabilities. Lead mutates human DNA structure and therefore offspring are affected for generations.

This info is nothing new. In the 1780's Benjamin Franklin studied why lead mine workers were having mental issues/violent outbreaks and died early. After autopsies, Ben concluded lead should be avoided. Many "lead mine kids" were labeled "slow learners" during the 1800's, before the US govt forced lead companies to enact safety protocols.

Also 100 and 110LL av gas is labeled "low lead", but I think they're comparing it to 1930's aviation. Comparing it to 1960's cars, 100 and 110LL has 1.5 times the lead found in leaded gasoline at that time. It sucks that prop planes still go over our houses and food and sprinkle stupid juice all over us.
Back in the 1960s, normal leaded fuel had about 3gms/gallon of TEL in it. Low lead took that down to 1 gm/gallon. It also takes 5% more crude oil to make a gallon of unleaded fuel. That is interesting in that during the first fuel shortage back then, the shortage was alleged to have been by 5%.

Lead was in much more than just gasoline. House paints were one, for example. When hngry "welfare babies" were gnawing on window sills in the ghetto in the earlier 1970s, they were getting doses of lead in those paint flakes. I don't know the exact concentration, just that it was there and THAT was the reason it was removed from house paints. The reason YELLOW cars disappeared in the early 1980s was that all of the yellow pigments had lead in them, so until they came up with a lead substitute, no yellow cars were made.

During the later 1960s when emission controls were in their infancy, the idea of unleaded fuel was mentioned then. In reality, the lead coming out of the exhaust pipes settled onto the roadways and was stirred up by air currents from there. As livestock grazed on green grass about 20 feet away. No lead was found in the cows, though, when they cut them open to do diagnostics.

In our smaller town (back then), US80 ran through it. It was the main east-west roadway through Texas and other states. No "outside loops" as all of the traffic went through or near the center of towns, back then. In those smaller populations, if a autism was an issue, people would have found out about it sooner rather than later. Personally, Dad's sister and her family of 4 sons and a husband lived with their house's front door about 30 feed from US80. No autism there, just some normal prostate issues and a heart attack in their 60s and older.

Consider, too, if TEL really was a main contributor to some diseases, then places like New York City would have been hotbeds for such, with their taller buildings, lots of pedestrian traffic, lots of car traffic, and such. Even if the residents lived far above street level in the apartment buildings. Or perhaps we built up an immunity to such things back then?

I have observed that "trigger levels" of some conditions, as in Asperger's Syndrome, have been lowered in the past decade or so. Similar with other medical conditions which might be treatable. End result is that more people have these things, which can mean more medications can be produced for them?

One reason to NOT use av-gas is that no "road use taxes" as included in the price, as with normal fuels. Might not be a big deal individually, but is can be on a national level. Better to seek out "race gas" at the drag strip, speed shops, or similar venues. Might even be a public-access gas pump near one of those places?

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Back in the earlier 1980s, there was one octane booster which noted on the "Instructions" on the back of the container, to "jet up 3-4 sizes" when the particular octane booster was used in the recommended mix rate. People who did not ended up with burnt pistons, from what my late machine shop operative had seen. That particular addiitive did not see much use, with 104+ being the most popular and available back then.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

In the four stroke turbo snowmobile world, this is considered the best.
1717372920165.png

Back in the earlier 1980s, there was one octane booster which noted on the "Instructions" on the back of the container, to "jet up 3-4 sizes" when the particular octane booster was used in the recommended mix rate. People who did not ended up with burnt pistons, from what my late machine shop operative had seen. That particular addiitive did not see much use, with 104+ being the most popular and available back then.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

One would do well to look at the old specs for running high octane fuel in our old engines. If an engine has been built for low octane mid-1970s or worse, modern fuel, then modifying carburetor jets, timing et al would be advisable. High octane does well with high compression, which "smog motors" lacked. I suspect a mild octane enrichment for Gertrude would do her good, but beyond that, I would research BEFORE running some brew. I have old school flat top pistons with those closed quench 915 heads, which do well only with the crap 91 octane as the best I can buy for her. Then engine hasn't knocked since the head upgrade, and careful timing. I plan to get the rod and jet kit for the 'Brock 600 a little later this summer, and to put the dual exhaust on for a modest lowering of back pressure, and will see what comes of that. (This engine did well w the dual pipes a few yrs ago, recall.)

Back in the 1960s, normal leaded fuel had about 3gms/gallon of TEL in it. Low lead took that down to 1 gm/gallon. It also takes 5% more crude oil to make a gallon of unleaded fuel. That is interesting in that during the first fuel shortage back then, the shortage was alleged to have been by 5%.

Lead was in much more than just gasoline. House paints were one, for example. When hngry "welfare babies" were gnawing on window sills in the ghetto in the earlier 1970s, they were getting doses of lead in those paint flakes. I don't know the exact concentration, just that it was there and THAT was the reason it was removed from house paints. The reason YELLOW cars disappeared in the early 1980s was that all of the yellow pigments had lead in them, so until they came up with a lead substitute, no yellow cars were made.

During the later 1960s when emission controls were in their infancy, the idea of unleaded fuel was mentioned then. In reality, the lead coming out of the exhaust pipes settled onto the roadways and was stirred up by air currents from there. As livestock grazed on green grass about 20 feet away. No lead was found in the cows, though, when they cut them open to do diagnostics.

In our smaller town (back then), US80 ran through it. It was the main east-west roadway through Texas and other states. No "outside loops" as all of the traffic went through or near the center of towns, back then. In those smaller populations, if a autism was an issue, people would have found out about it sooner rather than later. Personally, Dad's sister and her family of 4 sons and a husband lived with their house's front door about 30 feed from US80. No autism there, just some normal prostate issues and a heart attack in their 60s and older.

Consider, too, if TEL really was a main contributor to some diseases, then places like New York City would have been hotbeds for such, with their taller buildings, lots of pedestrian traffic, lots of car traffic, and such. Even if the residents lived far above street level in the apartment buildings. Or perhaps we built up an immunity to such things back then?

I have observed that "trigger levels" of some conditions, as in Asperger's Syndrome, have been lowered in the past decade or so. Similar with other medical conditions which might be treatable. End result is that more people have these things, which can mean more medications can be produced for them?

One reason to NOT use av-gas is that no "road use taxes" as included in the price, as with normal fuels. Might not be a big deal individually, but is can be on a national level. Better to seek out "race gas" at the drag strip, speed shops, or similar venues. Might even be a public-access gas pump near one of those places?

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67
Thanks for the info. I went down a rabbit hole one day and didn't know all the crap we're breathing and eating. Worse than humans before 1880's. More lead, radiation, electromagnetic energy, chemicals, huge increase in sugars/fake sugars such as high fructose corn syrup in everything, all bad and no one really knows the exact effects. Amazing anyone lives past 50.

Lead particles from planes stays aloft for weeks before it falls to the ground, so lead is everywhere in the world. Lead takes decades to take effect. % of people living in cities have always had more health problems than people in rural areas, but that's from a number of factors, not just lead.

Lead is decayed Uranium, Radon and Radium. Most lead is not radioactive, but the body has a very difficult time disposing even trace amounts of lead, so it builds up in our system. It attacks our DNA, nerve cells and brain synapses.

The problem is everyone reacts to lead, chemicals, radiation, electromagnetic energy differently. Plus it takes decades to take effect, so humans think its not big deal and won't happen to them.

On another note, anything electric gives off Electromagnetic fields. EMF's destroys cells but again everyone reacts differently. Most feeling tired, however some progress to leukemia. Just sitting in modern cars, we're all getting a good dose of EMF's. I tested it with my EMF detector. (Not my mercedes)...at 15 !, yuck. To compare, see upper on pic, safe under 3.5, my 1970 300 registered under 3. Most of us recover after a few good nights sleep away from anything electric.

Sorry for highjacking the thread. I'm done with my rant.

Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I went down a rabbit hole one day and didn't know all the crap we're breathing and eating. Worse than humans before 1945. More lead, radiation, electromagnetic energy, chemicals, huge increase in sugars/fake sugars such as corn syrup, all bad and no one really knows the exact effects. Amazing anyone lives past 50.

Lead particles from planes stays aloft for weeks before it falls to the ground, so lead is everywhere in the world. Lead takes decades to take effect. % of people living in cities have always had more health problems than people in rural areas, but that's from a number of factors, not just lead.

Lead is decayed Uranium, Radon and Radium. Most lead is not radioactive, but the body has a very difficult time disposing even trace amounts of lead, so it builds up in our system. It attacks our DNA, nerve cells and brain synapses.

The problem is everyone reacts to lead, chemicals, radiation, electromagnetic energy differently. Plus it takes decades to take effect, so humans think its not big deal and won't happen to them.

On another note, anything electric gives off Electromagnetic fields. EMF's destroys cells but again everyone reacts differently. Most feeling tired, however some progress to leukemia. Just sitting in modern cars, we're all getting a good dose of EMF's. I tested it with my EMF detector. (Not my mercedes)...at 15 !, yuck. To compare, see upper on pic, safe under 3.5, my 1970 300 registered under 3. Most of us recover after a few good nights sleep away from anything electric.

View attachment 664376
Some will get this and some won't.

1717434404329.png

Thanks for the info. I went down a rabbit hole one day and didn't know all the crap we're breathing and eating. Worse than humans before 1880's. More lead, radiation, electromagnetic energy, chemicals, huge increase in sugars/fake sugars such as high fructose corn syrup in everything, all bad and no one really knows the exact effects. Amazing anyone lives past 50. ....

Not really. The MODERN poisons aren't so BAD as the OLD POISONS. You forgot to mention TIN, which, like LEAD is a Group IV ELEMENT!!! If you want to understand WHY THESE METALS POISON CARBON BASED LIFE FORMS SO, LOOK AT THE PERIODIC TABLE OF ELEMENTS!! Never mind the FUD about the FACT that lead is ONE product of uranium fission. Sure it is! So is RADON, which you mention, but so are MANY OTHER ELEMENTS, and YES, we monkeys dig this poison **** up at times, and do ourselves harm. Guess what? SO DID THE ANCIENTS!! Read Herodotus about the naptha pools in Persia, look at how Hippokrateus (Doric spelling) prescribed LEAD DIAPHRAGMS TO WOMEN FOR CONTRACEPTION, Roman PLUMBUMING, et cetera.....

We LIVE AS LONG AS WE DO NOW BECAUSE WE KNOW A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT THE WORLD WE EVOLVE IN!!!!!! That KNOWLEDGE redounds now in ELECTRONIC STORAGE, and while I too LOATHE all the crapitalist widgetry in modern computo-mobiles , I can dig having the Net at my fingertips, OFF THE ROAD!

View attachment 664376

I thank you!

While sinusoidal EMF might aggravate cordates, the natural background radiation of this radioactive planet with its oversized moon churning the mantle, thinning the atmosphere and so forth SURE AS **** aggravates the cordates which evolved as a consequence of the same lethal **** to start with.

Still, I thank you for the reading on all the EMF in a modern Android car. Damn do I HATE THAT **** TOO!!! Don't have it, WON'T HAVE IT! Still, cars be poisonous rolling petrol missiles for all that. Hank Ford wouldn't be allowed to invent his stuff today........

OK, Bravo for your rant. I dig it.

Not really. The MODERN poisons aren't so BAD as the OLD POISONS. You forgot to mention TIN, which, like LEAD is a Group IV ELEMENT!!! If you want to understand WHY THESE METALS POISON CARBON BASED LIFE FORMS SO, LOOK AT THE PERIODIC TABLE OF ELEMENTS!! Never mind the FUD about the FACT that lead is ONE product of uranium fission. Sure it is! So is RADON, which you mention, but so are MANY OTHER ELEMENTS, and YES, we monkeys dig this poison **** up at times, and do ourselves harm. Guess what? SO DID THE ANCIENTS!! Read Herodotus about the naptha pools in Persia, look at how Hippokrateus (Doric spelling) prescribed LEAD DIAPHRAGMS TO WOMEN FOR CONTRACEPTION, Roman PLUMBUMING, et cetera.....

We LIVE AS LONG AS WE DO NOW BECAUSE WE KNOW A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT THE WORLD WE EVOLVE IN!!!!!! That KNOWLEDGE redounds now in ELECTRONIC STORAGE, and while I too LOATHE all the crapitalist widgetry in modern computo-mobiles , I can dig having the Net at my fingertips, OFF THE ROAD!

I thank you!

While sinusoidal EMF might aggravate cordates, the natural background radiation of this radioactive planet with its oversized moon churning the mantle, thinning the atmosphere and so forth SURE AS **** aggravates the cordates which evolved as a consequence of the same lethal **** to start with.

Still, I thank you for the reading on all the EMF in a modern Android car. Damn do I HATE THAT **** TOO!!! Don't have it, WON'T HAVE IT! Still, cars be poisonous rolling petrol missiles for all that. Hank Ford wouldn't be allowed to invent his stuff today........

OK, Bravo for your rant. I dig it.
Thanks man for the info. I didn't know some of that stuff. Hey! A new research worldwide just concluded. All men, All healthy, most around 30yrs of age. They're checking much larger groups of men later this year. They found:

China - All 40 participants had tiny plastic particles in their semen
Italy - 6 out of 10
USA - 8 out of 10

Yeaaaa! We're shooting plastic out of our weenies! I wonder what that does to DNA? I bet Herodotus and Hippokrateus didn't even think of that...eating plastic. Ahhh progress!

Back