Big road bump in the Stub Frame project..

I'm glad you found a new heart and all the goodies for your car, at a great price. My brake on my car seems to have been the engine, in this round of my restoration.

I have heard guys paying $11k for a Hughes crate engine and having it fail after a thousand miles...
I have heard of guys building their own engine meticulously following the book and having the rear main seal leak.
I know a guy who bought a 16 hundred dollar rebuilt 383 from AZ and it still runs perfectly.
Last week I helped install a Jegs 350 SBC. I'll give you feedback next week.
All you can do is go with the what time, budget, and ability says...

cegauex0egczh7hmjja5a3n25.349x300x1.gif

Statistically? Well...

Last edited:
I agree with you Ray, it is a crap shoot.. I'm at the $500 crap's table it will hurt less if it doesn't work out..

I will have spares to work with in the future if needed!

While contemplating the rebuild option the owner showed me a 440 rebuilt (not the one he wanted to sell me) that had less than 10 minutes run time.
the B/N cam had failed puking all sorts of debris into the engine which now requires another rebuild.

The cam supplier acknowledge the failure but covers only the replacement of the cam & lifters but the owner is on the hook for the rest...

That is not a game i can afford to play..

Last edited:
Here's some carnage at 1,000 miles on one I rebuilt...

2dwf7fa.jpg

Rod bolt failure.
Memo to self: Do not reuse rod bolts.

Mr Fix IT, I guess you already know that an LA 318 will bolt in place of your poly 318 using the same transmission and mounts. The front cover , water pump,,distributor, starter,and even the crankshaft and pulleys will interchange also. When my poly gets tired I'll probably replace it with an LA engine because it is cheaper to rebuild. Good luck with your stub frame project, it will be better than new when you are done!

Mr Fix IT, I guess you already know that an LA 318 will bolt in place of your poly 318 using the same transmission and mounts. The front cover , water pump,,distributor, starter,and even the crankshaft and pulleys will interchange also. When my poly gets tired I'll probably replace it with an LA engine because it is cheaper to rebuild. Good luck with your stub frame project, it will be better than new when you are done!

Thanks for the info.
I like the thought of keeping the original style power plant.

It is good to know what can be interchanged

Back