Booster Woes

John Kelly

Reaction score
Suggestions needed for a quality new power break booster source. A local mechanic said AutoZone is good, another said Rock Auto is fine. I want a quality booster that will last.
Backstory: I sent the one off my 1970 New Yorker to the rebuild place in Washington, but they wanted $705.00!!! I'm not restoring the car, I'm building a driver. That price is too much for what the car warrants. The power break booster rebuild group in Washington said the two big reasons for the higher-than-normal price was the following: 1. the booster itself is rare and hard to find and 2. one of the main metal pieces that make up the whole body of the thing has tiny rust holes in it and has to be replaced. In the photo, the arrow is pointing to a hole with light from a flashlight shining thru it.
Anyways any tips for where to get a quality one are welcomed.
BOOSTER.jpg

It's for a 1970 New Yorker. A new part would be fine, I just want a quality part. I hear that some boosters last only a couple of years and climbing inder my dash to remove that thing every two years is what I want to avoid.

What makes your booster rare and hard to find parts for? Seems like some effective brazing could plug that hole? Might not look pretty, but you can communicate that fact to them.

Many of the big box auto supply stores probably carry the "Cardone" brand, which many in here do not like, from their experiences. If you go that way, still got to have a core to send back to them or pay the core yourself. Core charge and freight for a used one might be a bit, too. Make sure WHO pays labor during the warranty period for any auto supply-sourced booster.

Might be less expensive in the long run to get the one you have rebuilt and go on down the road.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just checked RockAuto and they are "Out of Stock" on power drum and power disc brake boosters. Including the "Cardone" brand and others. All of them. Might have to take what you can get.

Back