Brake booster help

ssarge72

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for some help here. My brake booster went bad. Had a new in the box one that came with the car so I thought I’d use it. The holes do not line up with the firewall plate. Old one was a cardone this new one looks to be a Midland Ross, I could drill holes in the reinforcement plate, but this just doesn’t seem right. There are matching holes through the firewall. Is this the right booster? Four wheel drums.
IMG_8704.jpeg

I've been talking with you just now on FB about this.

While the backing plate has the dimples for drilling and support, the issue remains with the booster in question about its bolt lengths once the bracket is removed, AND the length of the pedal push rod. Both can have serious consequences if they're not in the right place etc.

I'd send your original that you know works and fits out for rebuild. No question, no fuss, no muss.

The other option is to order the correct Cardone one (four wheel drums with power brake option), and return the other incorrect Cardone one in the box and get your $ back. Not my way of doing things, but...

The incorrect one is a Field Install power brake retrofit unit for manual brake cars. That's why it has the bracket, and the bell crank on the pushrod to deal with adapting the manual brake pedal's leverage ratio and positioning.

I appreciate your help. I posted on both sites but I figured I’d get a quicker response on Facebook. Sounds like I won’t be driving this today. Bummer I’ve been chasing electrical gremlins all summer solved that and now this. Running out of a nice weather.

I appreciate your help. I posted on both sites but I figured I’d get a quicker response on Facebook. Sounds like I won’t be driving this today. Bummer I’ve been chasing electrical gremlins all summer solved that and now this. Running out of a nice weather.
The top booster is a Bendix single diaphragm booster, the midland booster looks like a B-Body unit judging by the brackets. Send you old booster to www.powerbrakebooster.com and have it rebuilt. (formerly booster Dewey's) they do a good job. There have been a lot of problems with Cardon't rebuilds being poor quality and being mis-boxed.

Dave

Back