Brake system overhaul - '71

73Coupe

Reaction score
(1971 New Yorker)

I wasn't planning on it at this time, but one thing leads to another. I was just going to replace the hoses, but then I noticed dangerously excessive corrosion on the hard lines. And heavy rust behind the boots on the calipers...

Now, everything's been removed back to the master cylinder. The lines had to be cut, as they were so rusted at the fittings

Original MC .... really not too bad for its age, if I may be so bold. I am looking for a rebuild kit. Any suggestions on supplier for this? I haven't found any yet.

IMG_8251.JPEG

IMG_8252.JPEG

IMG_8256.JPEG

IMG_8253.JPEG

(1971 New Yorker)

I wasn't planning on it at this time, but one thing leads to another. I was just going to replace the hoses, but then I noticed dangerously excessive corrosion on the hard lines. And heavy rust behind the boots on the calipers...

Now, everything's been removed back to the master cylinder. The lines had to be cut, as they were so rusted at the fittings

Original MC .... really not too bad for its age, if I may be so bold. I am looking for a rebuild kit. Any suggestions on supplier for this? I haven't found any yet.

View attachment 674374

View attachment 674375

View attachment 674376

View attachment 674377
I have been wanting to find some master rebuild kits, but haven't yet. I will be needing to do a brake hard line swap soon.

where did you find the proportioning valve rebuild kit if I might ask?

C’mon Guys —- you need to keep your thinking caps on….
And Bill / Fury GT even let you know whom to call …….

Where were you looking for Master Cylinder Kits —- in the Chineseum world of parts ??? They don’t want to be bothered packaging a kit , they would rather just hawk their Chineseum Master Cylinders…….

The only way to find these Master Cylinder Kits is *** N.O.S *** U.S.A. Made *** I started the recently completed Chryslers @ Carlisle with four (4) of those 1971 - 1973 Master Cylinder Kits and have TWO (2) remaining —- and no one to call presently to acquire more….

You know the drill —- P.M. me as per forum rules , if interested , or the two of you who are inquiring, should both have my phone number…..

You’re welcome , Craig…..

Disassembly and rebuild of the Kelsey-Heyes 86652 combination valve begins.......

This combination brake valve includes pressure differential and metering functions. It does not provide proportioning functionality.

Thanks to help from Muscle Car Research (as mentioned by @Boydsdodge above) for their excellent articles on disassembly and rebuild, and the rebuild kit.

Kelsey-Hayes 86652 Combination Valve Autopsy | Muscle Car Research LLC

Here's the valve upon removal from the car. I'm replacing all the brake lines, so I just snipped them instead of going through unnecessary hardship and causing more damage by trying to break the rusty fittings free.

IMG_8232.JPEG

After removing the fittings and the end cap, I just began by soaking the entire assembled valve in Evaporust. It came out very nice!

IMG_8266.JPEG

IMG_8268.JPEG

Now onto disassembly.

The brass seats were removed by threading them with a 6/32 tap and using a home made puller to extract them cleanly (as suggested by Scott @ Muscle Car Research).

IMG_8311.JPEG

The metering valve end. The pin pulled out but the rest of the valve remained stuck.

IMG_8313.JPEG

Another improvised puller was used to remove the brass end cap without damaging it. With that, the remnants of the metering valve could be removed.

IMG_8317.JPEG

The entire combo valve disassembled, from the rear circuit outlet end:

IMG_8323.JPEG

From the metering valve end:

IMG_8320.JPEG

The pressure differential piston removed and separated into its components:

IMG_8325.JPEG

More on the OEM master cylinder.... inspection revealed that it needs to be sleeved. It has been sent off to Karp's Power Brake in Chino, CA for a new SS sleve.
A rebuild kit is on order from @mobileparts, who is also a regular customer of Jeff @ Karps, going back decades.

>> Craig, they spoke highly of you when I talked to gal there on Thursday, BTW.

Why go through all the trouble and expense of restoring this old MC and why not just spring for a new unit from Rock Auto?

Because Ma Mopar made it, and I don't want "Chineseum" on my NY ... and I want to support small American businesses.

IMG_8298.JPEG

IMG_8305.JPEG

IMG_8306.JPEG

Several strokes of the cylinder hone revealed the pitting below:

IMG_8302.JPEG

Once again i hadn't planned on getting into the brakes quite yet. But closer inspection revealed more corrosion that I was comfortable with.

The rotors... now I'm not sure if original or not - I don't see any p/n cast into these.

IMG_8200.JPEG

IMG_8203.JPEG

IMG_8207.JPEG

Look at that rust.... would you just look at that.

IMG_8208.JPEG

The pistons have their Kelsey Hayes stamp, so the calipers must be all original. Pitting on the piston's finish warrants new pistons.

The calipers will be soaked in Evap-o-Rust.

IMG_8218.JPEG

Last edited:
Back