Briggs and Stratton File For Bankruptcy. Why It Matters

I try to buy American made clothes when possible, like this white dress shirt.....
20190504_125440.jpg

The first engine I ever rebuilt was a B&S at 14.
Been downhill ever since...
Me too on the first, the second was a Maytag hit n miss. And somewhere in that age range also........... gawd that was a long time ago. :eek:

how you and the follows worship a con man
Show me one politician who isn't a con man. Good luck on that. (There may be one somewhere on a local level, but we're not talking small towns here, are we?)
Make America great again? The biggest fraud
No bigger a fraud than "Hope and Change". I heard that and knew what was coming, but didn't think it would have been a sell out like it was.

Try to keep this in the threads where it's already running next time, even if we don't agree with what you're saying.

It was sad to see old vets driving japanese cars.
Today, I hate to see so called “patriots” driving japanese cars.
I think that one thing which propelled Saturn to its early greatness was that those "import beaters" came out just as the WWII generation retirees were needing to replace their then-current Plymouth Valiant/Dodge Dart carsaturn hit with the "designed and built in the USA" products and that theme resonated with that demographic of potential buyer. THEY didn't want to have to buy a Toyota or Nissan, as the Saturn gave them a good USA alternative.

Saturn's decrease began when they started to bring in Euro-based products which weren't as good as the orig cars were. So they lost those earlier loyal customers, as a result. Couldn't get enough of the college kids (with their 3-dr coupes) to bite, unfortunately.

Chevy dealers couldn't understand why a Saturn could be sold for MSRP yet they couldn't give away a similar-MSRP Chevy Cavalier at dealer cost. Too bad that GM decided to dilute that brand with Euro vehicles.

CBODY67

I think that one thing which propelled Saturn to its early greatness was that those "import beaters" came out just as the WWII generation retirees were needing to replace their then-current Plymouth Valiant/Dodge Dart carsaturn hit with the "designed and built in the USA" products and that theme resonated with that demographic of potential buyer. THEY didn't want to have to buy a Toyota or Nissan, as the Saturn gave them a good USA alternative.

Saturn's decrease began when they started to bring in Euro-based products which weren't as good as the orig cars were. So they lost those earlier loyal customers, as a result. Couldn't get enough of the college kids (with their 3-dr coupes) to bite, unfortunately.

Chevy dealers couldn't understand why a Saturn could be sold for MSRP yet they couldn't give away a similar-MSRP Chevy Cavalier at dealer cost. Too bad that GM decided to dilute that brand with Euro vehicles.

CBODY67
I met a gent in Vegas that had been a part of Saturn since it started and he said its demise also was due to the bean counters forcing cost reductions. Example is the header on the original SL2 being replaced by a cast iron manifold. He said that they were taking away the engineer’s creativity- bringing in the Opel Vectra and softening it up to create the L200 was another example...
I drove an Opel Vectra in Germany and it was very nice. The L200 lost character, such as the tactile feel of the control switches and other things...

Been downhill ever since...

i have had good luck with them. cut my aunts grass from 1989 till 2007 with a 12 horse craftsman then in 2007 i bought a new craftsman 20 horse up until the the last 2 years putting a hundred hrs a year on it. so far so good this year.

I met a gent in Vegas that had been a part of Saturn since it started and he said its demise also was due to the bean counters forcing cost reductions. Example is the header on the original SL2 being replaced by a cast iron manifold. He said that they were taking away the engineer’s creativity- bringing in the Opel Vectra and softening it up to create the L200 was another example...
I drove an Opel Vectra in Germany and it was very nice. The L200 lost character, such as the tactile feel of the control switches and other things...

In the L200, I seemed to see some of the "Cadillac Catera" in it, which was an Opel-based vehicle, too. The L200 had no real upscale appearance to it, as I recall, with a price that seemed a bit high for what you got. Usually, the tubular exhaust manifold was used to get the cat converter heated quicker for cold start emissions improvements. In comparison, the cast iron item would serve as a heat sink for the exhaust gas heat, before it got to the converter. A heated O2 sensor would fix that, though.

How the Saturn Division was configured and operated has served as the basis for more recent GM operational changes. When Saturn was fresh, it was nice to see it beat Lexus in the JDPowers surveys!

CBODY67

While I agree we share responsibility at a personal level, few people seem to realize that trade policy has been a core function of the Federal government since the nation's founding. The history of this isn't hard to find, so I won't repeat it.

Unfortunately this really fell apart in the post WWII era, but was masked for two decades by the same era's prosperity. In that time, foreign nations (often through their protected corporations) had entrenched themselves in America's politics through lobbying efforts. Legalized bribery.

This isn't to let CEO's off the hook, but then again they don't swear oaths and (aren't expected to) live solely on taxpayer dollars.

It's been a slow-moving, multi-generational train to ruin. Most of the generation that's lived in both versions of America are living in communal homes and they sure as hell were not supposed to end up in the White House. The system, the deep state, the establishment; whatever you wish to call it is now so invested in this slow-moving train that even an attempt to tap the brakes and minimally respond with better trade policy is met with every tool in their arsenal, be it the media to shape attitudes or foreign actors to create events. And that is what we are now living through.

Back