Caliper not releasing

Fred A

Reaction score
Hello, I installed new caliper and brake hose but caliper not releasing. Any ideas what is causing this? 1978 Chrysler New Yorker.

There are no sliders

Screenshot_20240819-000125.png

If you have also replaced the master cylinder, there is a travel rod adjustment that may be improperly set too long, that will cause the caliper to stay deployed.

Dave

If you have also replaced the master cylinder, there is a travel rod adjustment that may be improperly set too long, that will cause the caliper to stay deployed.

Dave
Good point Dave. If he cracks the bleeder it should release the caliper and let him know if the problem is with a stuck caliper or if he needs to move up to a restricted line or master cylinder.

Dave
I have not replaced the master cylinder. I just changed the calibers and brake hose. Could it be the master cylinder or brake booster or peripheral valve?

I have not replaced the master cylinder. I just changed the calibers and brake hose. Could it be the master cylinder or brake booster or peripheral valve?
Until you do some diagnostics you are only guessing. Open the bleeder screw and see if the caliper releases. If it does then the caliper is working and then you start diagnosing the lines master cylinder and valve.

I see you are also in Michigan, where abouts do you live?

Until you do some diagnostics you are only guessing. Open the bleeder screw and see if the caliper releases. If it does then the caliper is working and then you start diagnosing the lines master cylinder and valve.

I see you are also in Michigan, where abouts do you live?
I opened the bleeder screw and the new caliper does not release. Both front calibers same problem. WASHINGTON, MI AREA

I changed one and does the same as other. I am thinking that it may be the breaker booster? Anyway to test or release air?

I changed one and does the same as other. I am thinking that it may be the breaker booster? Anyway to test or release air?
I'm confused... Was this happening before you changed both calipers.

It's not the booster. That wouldn't cause the problem.

The front wheels would not turn. Thought was the caliper or rubber hose but same problem

The front wheels would not turn. Thought was the caliper or rubber hose but same problem

By "not turning", do you mean they are locked up completely or just stiff? Disc brakes do drag some.

I want to try to replace the brake line. Anyone know the size?
It's not your brake line.

You've opened the bleeders and you say that didn't release the calipers. That isolates the problem to the calipers. But here's the problem... You've replaced the calipers and hoses, thinking that was the issue, so we can assume the calipers are OK.

Have you driven this car at all? If so, when did this problem start. Be as descriptive as you can.

By "not turning", do you mean they are locked up completely or just stiff? Disc brakes do drag some.

It's not your brake line.

You've opened the bleeders and you say that didn't release the calipers. That isolates the problem to the calipers. But here's the problem... You've replaced the calipers and hoses, thinking that was the issue, so we can assume the calipers are OK.

Have you driven this car at all? If so, when did this problem start. Be as descriptive as you can

The car has been sitting for many years. I have drove the car before the lockup. Seems to drive ok. Would hear a hiss sound once in awhile. I bought new tires for it. So when I removed the front tires I noticed that the wheels would not turn when jacked up. I removed the wheels and could not turn with a crow bar. So I assumed it might be the caliper or hose. So I bought both and still have the same problem. I opened other line at master cylinder still not releasing. So I am thinking maybe the brake line?

Back