Caliper not releasing

The car has been sitting for many years. I have drove the car before the lockup. Seems to drive ok. Would hear a hiss sound once in awhile. I bought new tires for it. So when I removed the front tires I noticed that the wheels would not turn when jacked up. I removed the wheels and could not turn with a crow bar. So I assumed it might be the caliper or hose. So I bought both and still have the same problem. I opened other line at master cylinder still not releasing. So I am thinking maybe the brake line?

Have you checked the wheel bearings? Cars that sit for extended periods sometimes develop rust on the wheel bearings which can cause them to bind up.

Dave

Have you checked the wheel bearings? Cars that sit for extended periods sometimes develop rust on the wheel bearings which can cause them to bind up.

Dave
If I remove the caliber and and push the piston back in manually and reinstall caliber with pad it turns.

Once you've manually retracted the piston, how much space do you have between the rotor and the pads? Smaller cars have similar calipers but are not as wide. With older rotors and pads, I would think you could get them on, but this might happen. If you have the old caliper around you can compare.

But shouldn't it release if loosen air bleed screw? What brand do you recommend?
Cardone is famous for producing defective parts and mis-boxing the parts, the caliper may have the internal O-Ring twisted which will cause the caliper to bind up. A warped caliper casting or an out of round caliper piston will do the same. Rock auto has the rebuilt calipers, (www.rockauto.com). Usually best to stay with a US based rebuilder, the AC Delco units are usually quality products.

Dave

Cardone is famous for producing defective parts and mis-boxing the parts, the caliper may have the internal O-Ring twisted which will cause the caliper to bind up. A warped caliper casting or an out of round caliper piston will do the same. Rock auto has the rebuilt calipers, (www.rockauto.com). Usually best to stay with a US based rebuilder, the AC Delco units are usually quality products.

Dave
Did you have the same problem before?

Has anyone suggested a bad brake hose? Allows fluid to pass one way. Hose looked great from the exterior. Had the issue on a 73 disc brake.

Fred, we can post forum all day but won’t get you any closer. I will be in the shop tomorrow. PM your phone number and I will give you a call and set up a time when the car is in front of you and we can talk through.

I replaced the hose . You think maybe the brake line?
This may sound like a dumb question. But, does it matter whether the engine is running? I’ll explain…many years ago I drove a tow truck for a living. So one of our drivers thought that recovery operations would go better if we could remotely lock up all 4 brakes. He installed it on one of our trucks and sometimes it would randomly lock up all fours while we were driving. The problem was traced to a vacuum line and a check valve.

This may sound like a dumb question. But, does it matter whether the engine is running? I’ll explain…many years ago I drove a tow truck for a living. So one of our drivers thought that recovery operations would go better if we could remotely lock up all 4 brakes. He installed it on one of our trucks and sometimes it would randomly lock up all fours while we were driving. The problem was traced to a vacuum line and a check valve.
Caliper should release when the pedal is released, does not matter if the car is running.

Dave

Back