Car just stalled while driving .

Check the bulkhead connector, a dirty/corroded pin will cause that type of intermittent shutdown. My IHC Scout had a Mopar style bulkhead connector and it shut me down more than once until I figured out what was happening. Failing that, I'd change the coil.

Check the bulkhead connector, a dirty/corroded pin will cause that type of intermittent shutdown. My IHC Scout had a Mopar style bulkhead connector and it shut me down more than once until I figured out what was happening. Failing that, I'd change the coil.
Formals don't have a bulkhead connector.

Pick up coil in the dist. My Cordoba had this year's ago and how I learned about this problem. Most recently my bro in law's dad's car would not start he shotgunned spare parts at it changed the pick up coil and the car started. They bought a new one all is good for 10 min each time car would die and not restart next day start right up we chased everything in that car and it ended up being the brand new pick up coil (Chinese of course). Check other mentioned above remedies like Stan 's fuseable link. Also a pickup coil should be in spare parts with a ECU as most places don't have them in stock anymore.

Pick up coil in the dist. My Cordoba had this year's ago and how I learned about this problem. Most recently my bro in law's dad's car would not start he shotgunned spare parts at it changed the pick up coil and the car started. They bought a new one all is good for 10 min each time car would die and not restart next day start right up we chased everything in that car and it ended up being the brand new pick up coil (Chinese of course). Check other mentioned above remedies like Stan 's fuseable link. Also a pickup coil should be in spare parts with a ECU as most places don't have them in stock anymore.
If anyone would stop and think about it, if you keep any electronic distributor around, Small block, big block, vacuum advance or lean burn, it takes a whole 30 seconds to plug in and turn to see if you have spark. Duh this will tell you if it is the pick up coil or not without turning a wrench.

If anyone would stop and think about it, if you keep any electronic distributor around, Small block, big block, vacuum advance or lean burn, it takes a whole 30 seconds to plug in and turn to see if you have spark. Duh this will tell you if it is the pick up coil or not without turning a wrench.
That's a good idea, I am just going to carry a spare dist. that way I can just swap it easier than pickup coil if it is the problem.:thumbsup:

Replace the coil. Buy 2 and keep the spare in the trunk. BTW, the ignition box is good....keep that in the trunk as well for a spare. I would also get a spare ballast resistor too. If you have all 3 of those items for a spare you won't be stuck on the side of the road because of ignition spark.

Thanks Bob. I'll do that. I hope that all it is, something simple like that.

All great info.. Thank you guys so much for your input. This is why I posted my challange.. You guys are awesome. I'll update you guys once I've had the chance to jump into it. At the moment, work and family obligations are occupying all my time. So stay tuned.

Just remember: some spare ignition parts for your car IN YOUR TRUNK can save you time and money (like heavy towing costs) if something fails again under the hood. Plus you'll feel more secure while driving, lol

Just remember: some spare ignition parts for your car IN YOUR TRUNK can save you time and money (like heavy towing costs) if something fails again under the hood. Plus you'll feel more secure while driving, lol

Amen to that.. I'll gather the usual culperates and have a stash in the trunk for sure. Anything else you can think of that I'll need spares of, please feel free.

I recently went through what you described. Turned out to be the pick up coil in the distributor.

Great info. everyone, my friend is having the same problem with his 70 Cuda. I'll pass along your advice.

Watch the Chinese ones. It might have been a 1 in a million but it gave us fits dismissing it as okay because it was new. Also been post on here of people having issues with condensers, can't trust new parts anymore.

Did not know that, I thought Ma Mopar blessed all her cars with that particular head ache!
Yes Chrysler did away with them in 1974. Many electrical problems disappeared.
They did use a different design on the "F, M, AND J Bodies".

I recently went through what you described. Turned out to be the pick up coil in the distributor.

Thanks Mr. C.. That's on my parts list for the trunk. Lol

As my luck would have it, when this first occurred on Friday, I picked up a new ECM and installed it, she fired right up.. Fast forward 2 hrs ago, I pick up my daughter from school for a Doc appt. car stalled again right in front of an Auto Zone, (There is a God) since a new coil was next on my list, I purchased and installed, and what do you know she fired right up.. Next!!!!!!!

Coincidence? Or possible finger pointed to the cause of the stalling. So! after all the above occurred, I go back to the car after the doctors appointment and guess what? She won't start. I disconnected the battery and waited about 20 to 30 minutes and lo and behold she fired right up again. The coincidences is!' that on Friday when I installed the new ECM after it stalled out the first time, it fired right up. When I replaced the coil earlier today I disconnected the battery, after the installation about 20 or 30 minutes later, I reconnected the battery and it fired right up. No just about 30 minutes ago after the doctors appointment the car would not start. I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes or so and when reconnected it fired right up.

So now my question is.. by disconnecting the battery, am I rebooting / resetting so to speak, a particular electronic device under the hood that might be causing the stall? It just seems coincidental that every time I disconnect the battery and wait.. It fires right up when I reconnect. I still plan on replacing the other ignition parts mentioned by all you guys, just thinking that the battery being disconnect and reconnected might be the common denominator that points to a particular culprit.. Thoughts?

The battery has nothing to do with it. All your ignition circuits are controlled by the switch. You are just giving the culprit time to cool down and go back to working again. As I have said before, get your hands on a different distributor. When it stalls, you can plug the other one in immediately, and see if you have spark. This will tell you right then and there if it is the pick up coil.

All great info.. Thank you guys so much for your input. This is why I posted my challange.. You guys are awesome. I'll update you guys once I've had the chance to jump into it. At the moment, work and family obligations are occupying all my time. So stay tuned.

I'm betting the coil is the source of your problem. They are insidious devices. . . When you try and trouble shoot them, everything is fine (because the coil has cooled off in the interim). So you take off and twenty minutes later (when the coil has heated up internally, and the insulation has separated), it dies again. I hate coils. . .

Yea, there's nothing to "reboot" in the ignition system.

Since you've replaced the coil, I'd say we can eliminate that, but it's a heat induced issue, that's for sure.

I'm really leaning towards the pickup in the distributor being bad.

What you could do.... if you can duplicate it happening at home that is... is try some freeze spray on the various components.

Back