Carburetor Problems on 318 Engine

RKC

Reaction score
Stromberg carburetor on 318 engine with manual choke. I have installed a kit in it but it is still not correct. On a hot day it will leak fuel at the bottom gasket at intake manifold. I think it also suffers from vapor lock, however, often it is hard to start on a cold day after it has been warmed up. Is there a better carburetor on the market for this engine? Thanks!

Oriental "knock-offs" have had a checkered past. Some work decently and others take more re-tuning than they are worth.

As simple as those carburetors are, the "fix" to fix yours should be easy to discover. Might be as simple as a clogged air bleed or a sealing ball check whose solder has been eaten by ethanol'd fuels.

What engine is your carb for? Model year of vehicle? Why a manual choke?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Just for the record, I did swap the carter BBD on my 318 for this carb (a $100 carb) last fall, but I had bigger fish to fry with the car - like changing the stub frame.

140.JPG

My focus once the front of the car is put back together will be to see if I can get a smooth, low RPM idle with this carb on the absolute garbage 87 octane 10% or maybe even 15% ethanol I have to live with here. I might need to go with electronic ignition to get that. I'm ok with spending $100 on a 2-bbl carb, not $500 or what-ever. I have zero interest in putzing with 60 year old pot-metal carbs and cleaning out mysterious hidden passages. I've tried it, it's voodoo.

My point is that the majority of people who have bought other knock-off carbs, in other forums, have had mixed-bag luck with them. Some had to completely rebuild them, even put different metering items in them, just to get them to act as good as the old carb did. Just an advisory that you might end up "putzing around" with it anyway.

As Carter never did put their BBD jets and rods' specs anywhere, other than into Chrysler part numbers, that can mean two things. Either you end up drilling the main jets or getting some fine abrasives and a digital caliper to decrease the size of the metering rod diameters to get a E10-compatible fuel curve. The only Carter carb rebuild shop that had a lathe to cut metering rods with retired, so that source of custom metering rods is gone.

Better carburetor? Probably a Rochester 2GV 2bbl with an electric choke adapted to it. With the same throttle plate size as the BBD 2bbl. Application? The one that came on my '77 305 Camaro might work well. At least the main jets can be found easier than for the Carter BBD, I suspect. Or go back into the later 1960s with a Chevy 307 motor. Just have to adapt the throttle linkage to the GM orientation, which might not be too hard.

Either way, I would expect no issues with getting a smooth 550rpm idle in "D". Even with the E10 fuels and factory calibrations. Same bolt pattern, too.

Rochester? After Carter ceased production of carburetors, Chrysler started using Rochester carbs to replace them. Usually QuadraJets replaced ThermoQuads and the same might have been true for any 2bbls, unless they went to a Holley 2bbl smaller than the Holley 2210/2245 family used on the 360s.

Your money. Have fun!
CBODY67

Is that Autolite the same bolt pattern as the BBD? Being it's an Autolite, does it have annular discharge venturis as the 4bbls do?

Thanks,
CBODY67

Oriental "knock-offs" have had a checkered past. Some work decently and others take more re-tuning than they are worth.

As simple as those carburetors are, the "fix" to fix yours should be easy to discover. Might be as simple as a clogged air bleed or a sealing ball check whose solder has been eaten by ethanol'd fuels.

What engine is your carb for? Model year of vehicle? Why a manual choke?

Just curious,
CBODY67
It is a 1969 Dodge D-300 truck 1-ton with hoist, 318 engine, manual transmission, which I have restored.

Stromberg carburetor on 318 engine with manual choke. I have installed a kit in it but it is still not correct. On a hot day it will leak fuel at the bottom gasket at intake manifold. I think it also suffers from vapor lock, however, often it is hard to start on a cold day after it has been warmed up. Is there a better carburetor on the market for this engine? Thanks!
My suggestion is to send it to Carburetor Restoration in Youngstown, OH | Woodruff Carburetor Specialties , who is a member here, for rebuild. @Dana

Back