Carlisle 2021

https://journal.classiccars.com/2021/07/13/mopar-madness-sets-attendance-record-for-carlisle-events/.

IMG_1266-1068x639.jpeg

That section of field was barren grass each night. The new metrics all went home each night.

That section of field was barren grass each night. The new metrics all went home each night.

I believe most cars do leave each night, not just the Metrics. The new cars coming in have been a bone of contention with me since the Neon and PT cruisers phenomenon. These guys buy a new car and think individually it's the greatest car ever.
Now with high horsepower, a Retro name and look coupled with creature comforts they'd rather drive the hours with their windows up, air on.
I personally will resist that as long as possible.

My car sat in the rain.
Leaking it's gas on the grass.
First water to touch the car in 25 years.
How fitting for my first show.

20210708_231802.jpg

20210708_231708.jpg

20210708_231726.jpg

I'm going to guess about a 1/3 of the registered cars are modern. I attempted to check some out since I'm looking at buying one for my DD, but the incline and my knees said no. Besides, there seemed to be groups all the same color and trim anyway. Bob's was unique with the red leather interior, and another Furious Fuchsia that was converted into a convertible caught my eye. Other than that, not much to see.

I'm going to guess about a 1/3 of the registered cars are modern. I attempted to check some out since I'm looking at buying one for my DD, but the incline and my knees said no. Besides, there seemed to be groups all the same color and trim anyway. Bob's was unique with the red leather interior, and another Furious Fuchsia that was converted into a convertible caught my eye. Other than that, not much to see.

37091.jpeg
37089.jpeg
37088.jpeg

I'd bet at least half the cars/trucks are post 1990. I'm actually thinking more like 60% +.
I hate it! These are the guys that use it as a parking lot and nothing more.

I believe most cars do leave each night, not just the Metrics. The new cars coming in have been a bone of contention with me since the Neon and PT cruisers phenomenon. These guys buy a new car and think individually it's the greatest car ever.
Now with high horsepower, a Retro name and look coupled with creature comforts they'd rather drive the hours with their windows up, air on.
I personally will resist that as long as possible.

Slap an aftermarket stripe kit on it and you got a custom car!
In 92 I had just purchased a new Sundance for a daily driver. When I pulled into the fairgrounds, ack when spectator parking was on the hill, the attendant asked if I was “showing” the car. Of course I just laughed and headed for the hill. I’ll be damned if there wasn’t a couple “P” cars on the show field!

FWIW, I was just talking to some friends that attend the Ford Carlisle show and they say it's even worse there. Mostly new Mustangs. That show is similar sized, about 3000-3100 cars.

The only way to combat it is to keep bringing your old cars. Too many are sitting around with some lame excuse why they aren't at the show. I'll say that again... Lame excuses.

Eventually, the metric crap will become the norm, just as our cars pushed out the "antique" cars from about every other show, but that's the way it goes. The antique guys bitched about it too, but they grew older, just as a lot of us are, and they and their cars stopped showing up.

And yea, probably most of the new cars are just there as convenient parking, which makes a lot of sense when you add up the costs.

I just attended a very large show (see my thread on Syracuse Nationals) and they limit entries to 1990, but do allow later stuff to come in on the last day... at full price (you don't see many). 9000 cars.... But that's all makes and a lot of street rods too.

And yea, probably most of the new cars are just there as convenient parking, which makes a lot of sense when you add up the costs.
This is only the second out of the last 6 years that there was a 68 NYer on the field other than mine. To be honest though I decided to enter it because it's fabulous parking, a place for a canopy, and chairs to take a break.

I'm going to open up a can of worms here I know it. At what point is a car considered a too new of a late model for an event?. Would it be 1980's, 90's or 2010's? I have never agreed with brand new right off the showroom floor entries.
Full disclosure I have entered shows with my 2010 Challenger while the Imperial has been out of commission. I honestly can't just go and walk around I need to be a part of the event.

The eMuscle cars will be the next category at Carlisle in 2024.....

Back