CATL 2024: C-bodies At The Lake on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 ("hub-and-spoke" to the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Mark your calendars: the sixth CATL Drive (aka the 2024 Edition) is on!

The first (2019) CATL ran from Rockford, IL to the old Pabst Brewery in Milwaukee and onto Racine, WI (for beers and car discussions with @70 Sport Suburban ) in September 2019, with a stop on Lake Michigan's western shore. The 2020 CATL ran from Rockford via St Charles, IL and Hammond, IN to the Indiana Dunes National Park, on Lake Michigan's southern shore. The 2021 CATL ran from a spot on Historic Route 66 in Dwight, IL to a much smaller body of water in Fox Lake, IL. The 2022 CATL, organized in collaboration with @david hill , ran from Clinton Lake, IL to Chrysler's Kokomo Plant in Indiana. The 2023 CATL, organized in collaboration with @furious70 and @SGVert , followed Route-66 from Chicago, IL to St Louis, MO (precisely, to East St Louis, IL).

This year, the idea is to drive C-bodies from various places in from WI/IL/MO/MI/OH/IN (and beyond) to all meet up at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN. The shore of Lake Michigan is 20 mi (32 km) away, so the "Lake" theme holds. Credit goes to @fury fan for suggesting this end point.

Here are some details:

--> Date = Sept. 7: As in previous years, this run will start on the third Saturday of September. Should the weather not cooperate that weekend, the rainy-day date would be 2 weeks later, on Sept. 21. The Notre Dame football team will be playing at the team's stadium in South Bend on those two days, so folks who'd like to attend a game should plan ahead and book tickets/hotels accordingly.

--> Type of event: This is not a stationary show -- @sixpkrt 's annual C-Body Shows have that corner of the "market" covered in spades. As in 2019-2023, the idea of a CATL is to drive C-bodies through smaller roads to some nice locations. Along the way and at the end, of course, we park the cars/eat/shoot the breeze. The routes have always been chosen so that folks can join or depart along the way, and thus not commit to a full day if they do not wish to do so. This year will be similar except that we will adopt a hub-and-spoke design, with several different starting points.

--> Itinerary: To reduce driving distances and keep the event to a single day, we will do a hub-and-spoke design with different starting points: one in Rockford, IL (from where @71Polara383 and/or I will depart); one in Carmel, IN (from where @david hill and @fury fan will depart); one in Ypsilanti, MI; and two in Ohio -- one in Toledo and the other in Columbus; all have pickup spots along the way to be detailed a couple of weeks before the eventA rough outline of the event is on the attached map.

Here is a partial list of members who may be close enough to join (apologies to those whom I am missing, please add your name!):

Illinois: @sixpkrt @71Polara383 @73 New Yorker @Xenon @BLIMP @70NEWYORKER @metaldad @MarPar @Wonderwagon @furious70 @Sport Fury 67 @Asleep at the Meal @furyusvip @B to C @70 Droptop @blue88 @haywire 440 @chilsam @moparblake @Shamu70 @Clutch Carnage @SGVert @Davews @The_Eagles’_Nest @Sport Fury 67 @B to C @St.John @tallhair @John Kelly @volaredon @AJC

(and also IL members who have not recently been active, such as @swartzed @Cbodies69-73 @Billy Bats @Chopperbob1 @drh4683 @Biggie @sgtmac1 @300E @Air Force Polara @Grizzly's Garage @Popslavaz @Brian Parrino @Ed Wagner @Skins69 @BUBBAZ488 @IAG @william @Dan Wolf @Jdlov @gkellm @plum360415 @The Captain @arkmorris @badvs3vil @Casey @gregory cotten @Georges77 @300Hconvert @Ram50V8 @BobbyJ67 @william @Steven E Hiatt @Skins69 @sgtmac1 etc.)

Indiana: @david hill @fury fan @traintech55 @Stoney 65 Fury @RWCearley @SportFury @j_anderson @jct @Steven Jones @familee @Rexer @atticusfinch95 etc.

(and also IN members who have not recently been active, such as @streetmachine @ksc @74newport @Jeremy Hunter @John Boy 434j @bigandtall @Patinad70Polara @Superlite1969 @Tizz78 @Penske3 @73Gold @74newport @Jeffrey Cowell @jlcowell etc.)

Michigan: @detmatt @amazinblue82 @DetroitBorn @Carmine @69PolaraSW @65 Sporty @customsportsman @Blusmbl @66l78rat @72DL41 @MONC440 @Moparmania

(and also MI members who have not recently been active, such as @tntnewport @frankthetank81 @Mikahthegreek etc.)

Ohio: @JJ300 @Zymurgy @Omni @imperialguy7175 @67newport @Dana

(and also OH members who have not recently been active, such as @MAGNUM77 @dude69300 @Stormer etc.)

Missouri: @Stanj @Imperialist @cruisinwithsusan @marty koirtyohann @Mingo @Grannys67 @Slap Stick etc.

Wisconsin: @70 Sport Suburban @JPMODL @Don Stolfi @Owen11x @69Polara383 @glennb49 @GOLDMYN @Pete Kaczmarski @loveshack etc.

Further afield: @Ripinator @LocuMob @King Hooter @Samplingman @polara71 @Cags70PolaraConvert @cantflip (and anyone else from further afield, who is interested and can make it)

CATL hub&spoke 2024_3.jpg

Love the creative idea to allow more people to be involved! I might have to do the charger<>fury swap from the shop.

This is a definite maybe. Rockport is a reasonable day from me... and I have good friends just south of the destination I can visit as well!

Let's see if i can spin this one past the wife!

So each leg is going to meet at a designated spot and all the legs will meet in south bend at the same time?

Well I’m just south of Jackson so I could meet up with the Ypsi group where 127 and 12 cross. That’s only 5 miles south of me.

So each leg is going to meet at a designated spot and all the legs will meet in south bend at the same time?
I think the answer to the first part lies with folks along your route. Coordinate amongst yourselves what works best? Maybe it makes sense to join the caravan along the way, closer to home, rather than backtracking to a meet point? Although it might be difficult to know who the folks on your route will be, so many of us don't have our exact location posted.

For the 2nd question:
We wouldn't need to meet in South Bend at the same exact time, but if arrivals were within a 1-hour window that might be ideal. (road trips sometimes have surprises!)

Here's a parking lot view, there are 3 museums there.
It's possible that we might find parking in short supply if there are a lot of other citizens at these museums?

Looks like 4 parking lots, although it's hard to know if the outlying ones are available to the public/museum overflow.
219 Chapin St doesn't look like an active/hopping business, so the lot just W of it might be available.
And it looks like there might be some street parking available.

OR - there are 2 lots at the bottom of the 2nd picture, and they aren't marked for ownership. Those might be available?

When the day approaches and we have a ballpark vehicle count, I can contact the museum and get details on the parking options.
Maybe they can block something off for us???

Google Maps

1719969331167.png

1719969624086.png

Back