Charging voltage

scorp

Reaction score
Well I was having a charging issue partially due to the aftermarket electric fan someone added to my 72 Newport. I replaced the regulator and also put a mechanical fan on the car today and now the car charges at idle instead of drains almost. Now when I get reving the engine the car will charge up to 14 volts but if I rev higher I was having it jump up to 18 volts. I am guess the new regulator is bad or is there a slight chance the alternator is having issues now too?

Your Alternator if it is giving out that many volts is good.

It is either your Voltage regulator or a bad ground from the regulator to ground..

Yeah on a multimeter. Vehicle amp guage is reading fine though. I will double check/redo the ground on the regulator this week since it does only ground through the regulator housing.

Took the car out for a drive today and got the exhaust fixed up and then ended up with more issues. Lost reverse and also the carb is going on the fritz too. Read that it is probably just the valve body having the issue but I may pick up a spare working 727 and renuild the current one.

Sounds like you have a bunch and a half of problems to sort out. I'd probably try to get the electrical pain in the *** stuff straightened out first. I assume the fan was malfunctioning? If it is not wired properly it will still spin while the car is off, but you'd probably be able to hear that.

Make sure that the alternator is grounded properly as well as the regulator. I know most people think it is because it is bolted to the brackets but they are painted and what not.

Especially the voltage regulator. I forget, in '72 was it still a mechanical points type or had the jump been made to electronic?

Back