Confused about OEM Hubcaps!

Henrius

Reaction score
Don't know what the difference between a hubcap and wheel cover is, but I will use the first term.

Love my 1965 Plymouth Fury III, all original, and thought it was top of the trim line for that year. But I hate the original "dog dish" hubcaps, pictured in the photo. They are scraped up and need restoration, and only cover the lug nuts. They never have covered the whole painted wheel, and the wheel's white paint gets marred by mounting wheel weights.

When I look up the year and make on Hubcaps.com or other sites, I see at least 3 other hubcaps that are a lot nicer, covering the whole wheel. Two have these three protrusions that stick out and have a Plymouth symbol on them. It is tempting to buy another set and mount them.

I am confused why different hubcaps were sold on the same model of car. Could customers upgrade their hubcaps as an option? I want to restore the car to show quality but don't want to get docked for the "wrong" wheel covers.

IMGP3806.JPG

"Hubcap" = Dog Dish
"Wheel Cover" , covers the full wheel.
Hubcaps/Covers are only on the broadcast sheet and there were some dealer only ones.
Generally hubcaps/wheel covers are not tied to a specific trim package and are a separate option all their own.

I have shown my Barracuda with two different sets of Wheel Covers, my Valiant 5 different sets.

Do what pleases you

Alan

I have a set of 14" 65 Plymouth 'wheelcovers' I'll make you a good deal on, non-spinner type, no photos at present and not in fantastic shape but as I recall fair for a driver.

From the Factory parts book
22-1-0 - WHEELS
22-1-42 - COVERS, Wheel​
22-8-0 - WHEEL HUB CAPS
22-8-42 - CAP
(not to be confused with)
22-8-57 - CAP, Front Wheel Grease​

You will find similar references in all the factory literature

Alan

I agree with MrMoparCHP. You should check out the hamtramck-historical website, as you can see by the dealershipdatabook, there was a standard wheel cover and some optional wheel covers. I found this website very useful in determining what was correct for my car.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1965 Plymouth Dealership Data Book - Fury

Look around the library for your car, I'm sure you'll find other information that will be useful.

The full wheel cover with the spinner was std. on Sport Furys.
Same cover without the center spinner was std. Fury III and optional on all others trims that came with the hub caps.

On the page "Fury III Features", it mentions a "Custom-positioned 6-way front seat". This is NOT a power seat, but the normal "manual forward and back" seat adjuster. Where the "6-Way" part comes in is on the side supports for the seat. These brackets/supports are a two-piece (per side) assembly. At the front and rear of each side, there are "slots" with a bolt holding the two sides together. THAT is where the 6-way part comes in. Up and down on the front and back of the seat support. It adjusts with a ratchet/socket and/or wrench . . . manually. Only on '65 and '66 as I recall.

CBODY67

I have a set of 14" 65 Plymouth 'wheelcovers' I'll make you a good deal on, non-spinner type, no photos at present and not in fantastic shape but as I recall fair for a driver.

Thanks for the offer. Just before I read your response, I ordered a set of wheel covers on E-Bay for $59. Not with spinners, but definitely an upgrade over the doggy dishes that came with my Fury!

Back