cruise control photos

dg6oo2

Reaction score
G,day all being new to the forum i am needing some photos of the engine bay for the 70,71 plymouth fury (dodge phoenix in Oz) i have the 318 la motor in a sedan body, i am wanting engine bay photos as i picked up a factory cruise control and i need to know on where to bolt everything of course i will have to reverse it all to suit our down under conditions.

Last edited:
I think I have an engine bay photo of a 70 Dodge engine bay with cruise and a 318. That is not a common marriage.
When I get home this evening I'll try and post it

I dont see it. It seems a cruise control option on a 1970 polara is more rare than a superlite

Thanks guys even a piccy of a big block engine bay would be helpful, showing were all the main bits go even my 71 parts catalogue does,nt show me and as it was not a local option i am dependant on any help i can get other than blind luck.

Do you have the service manual for the car?

I know there has to be something at home with a cruise control shown on a BB.

No mate i don,t have a factory vandalism manual down here in Oz they are rare for this model.

I have absolutely no up close photos of a 1970 or 1971 cruise control. Perhaps Stan has something on a "Formal"

fwmz61.jpg

2m7fznc.jpg

2ir0mis.jpg

Thanks mate can i ask for a carby detail photo as well, the photos you posted up were exactly what i needed.

One question does the factory cruise work the same as modern cruise controls (where as it holds the car at a set speed by automaticly adjusting the revs or does it just hold the speed and hang on).

Last edited:
I don't think my carb setup will do you any good. It's a '76 Thermoquad with 1,000 pieces of tubing, sensors, solenoids, etc.

RE: the Cruise control: It operates by having the speedo cable come out of the transmisson, into the CC unit, and then out to the speedometer. That way is mph controlled, not rpm controlled. You will also need a DPDT (four wire) brake light switch where one pole is normally open (NO) for one for the CC and normally closed (NC) for the brake lights.
When the brake pedal is is the normal resting position, it presses on the plunger switch keeping the circuit closed for the CC to operate and the circuit open for the brake lights.
When you depress the brake pedal, the pedal pulls away from the switch, letting the plunger button out and closing the brake light circuit and breaking the CC circuit.
A lot of newbies get totally confused by that.

As the speedo cable operates the CC unit, another throttle cable comes out of the unit to operate the carb. throtle linkage. The CC linkage is independent of the floor throttle linkage so you have a duplex throttle linkage on the car. One for each. That's the trouble with aftermarket and replacement carbs. They never have the linkage for the CC.

Thanks a bunch mate, yes i have all those bits but i needed placement photos so i can reengineer it to suit rhd to make it look a factory as possible.

Back