Dash Removal -Where are the upper bolts located?

greasemonkeyman

Reaction score
Hey guys,I'm removing the dash from my 67 Nyer and have just about everything disconnected.Removed the facing,glovebox,radio,etc.....disconnected all the wiring,ac cables,defroster vents,and steering column brace.I've unbolted the two lower cowl bolts.What I need to know is,how many upper bolts are there connecting the dash in the upper area and approx where are they located.It feels like there are only two in the upper corners and the dash is loose already.Are these 7/16 bolts? Any help appreciated!

Here's some bad news. The windshield has to come out. Under the bottom edge of the windshield are the bolts to have to gat at that attach the forward edge of the dad to the cowl.

Posted via Topify on Android

Well, the shop that disassembled my 67 Polara didn't need to remove the windshield. He said it was a pain in the *** but the windshield is in the car.

Dash Removal

Hey guys,I'm removing the dash from my 67 Nyer and have just about everything disconnected.Removed the facing,glovebox,radio,etc.....disconnected all the wiring,ac cables,defroster vents,and steering column brace.I've unbolted the two lower cowl bolts.What I need to know is,how many upper bolts are there connecting the dash in the upper area and approx where are they located.It feels like there are only two in the upper corners and the dash is loose already.Are these 7/16 bolts? Any help appreciated!

I pulled the windshield, there is 6 bolts that hold the filler panel to the balance of dash. With what you already pulled it should come out as an assembly. Be prepared, the whole thing weighs 78 pounds. (I have done 2 dashes like this)

DSC00004.jpg

If you leave windshield, you might be able to disconnect the bolts - they are 3/8", but could be really tough to get at.

(I put together a bunch of pictures in powerpoint with notes, I am travelling right now, might be of use to others)

Good Luck

DSC00004.jpg

Hope this helps, these are the screws you need to get at laying on your back (pull seats)
This will separate the die cast portion of dash from filler panel. However, not the easiest way to do it.

Good Luck

Dash.jpg

Dash.jpg

Thanks guys! I managed to pull the windshield out today and got access to the bolts that held the dash in from the top. It turns out I actually needed to remove my dash due to an engine fire from the previous owner. The heat did some damage behind the firewall where the ac unit was located. It melted some of the vacuum lines running into the ac unit and also melted the defroster vents below the dash.Nothing else got damaged as it was mostly restricted to the engine bay.These are pics of what it looked like when I got it.She's all cleaned up now but I decided to take her apart and redo her anyways.001.jpg027.jpg

001.jpg

027.jpg

Back