Dick Landy

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Let's not forget this legand. This is my favorite of all his cars. 340/W2 Omni-Charger. Famous for his Hemi power. His small block could haul the mail too

image.jpg

The summer of 69. I returned from Viet Nam in March and got involved with SS drag racing right away. My brother, myself and another friend teamed up and crewed for Wally Booth who got a gig with the Detroit Dodge Dealers and a SS/E street hemi Super Bee. Didn't pay much but What a summer, Detroit dragway, Indianapolis, York US 30 dragway .... the Nationals.

Part of the deal was the use of a new Monaco station wagon, same green as the Super Bee, in which we traveled, hauled tools and parts and towed a drag star open trailer with the super Bee on it

I found this shot online. It's Wally up against Dick Landy's Charger.... Not sure where it was taken but I was there.

Wally Booth and Mr. Norm 1969..jpg

The summer of 69. I returned from Viet Nam in March and got involved with SS drag racing right away. My brother, myself and another friend teamed up and crewed for Wally Booth who got a gig with the Detroit Dodge Dealers and a SS/E street hemi Super Bee. Didn't pay much but What a summer, Detroit dragway, Indianapolis, York US 30 dragway .... the Nationals.

Part of the deal was the use of a new Monaco station wagon, same green as the Super Bee, in which we traveled, hauled tools and parts and towed a drag star open trailer with the super Bee on it

I found this shot online. It's Wally up against Dick Landy's Charger.... Not sure where it was taken but I was there.
Has to be Indy its pretty wide for 1969.

Someone posted this this same pic on another board I'm on often. Largely GM fans on that one. A lot of them were shocked to see Booth in a Dodge. He had close ties to Jenkins

Someone posted this this same pic on another board I'm on often. Largely GM fans on that one. A lot of them were shocked to see Booth in a Dodge. He had close ties to Jenkins

That was the only season Wally ran a Mopar. He really disliked the car, said it was to big and awkward. But he loved the 833 4 speed and even used one in his Camaro later on.
He was a Chevy guy, and he and Bill Jenkens worked together with Vic Edelbrock in California developing intakes and heads for both Chevys and the AMC motor.
Wally is credited with putting AMC on the map in the later pro stock classes with first a Gremlin and later was very successful with a Hornet.

I think your right Dave. Heres a picture I took, maybe that same day, across from the timing tower. That's Wally on the right during qualifying.

never seen that pic. Would you mind if I share it on the Super Stock group ? They would love to see this.

That was the only season Wally ran a Mopar. He really disliked the car, said it was to big and awkward. But he loved the 833 4 speed and even used one in his Camaro later on.
He was a Chevy guy, and he and Bill Jenkens worked together with Vic Edelbrock in California developing intakes and heads for both Chevys and the AMC motor.
Wally is credited with putting AMC on the map in the later pro stock classes with first a Gremlin and later was very successful with a Hornet.

Oh yea very famialiar with Wally Booth & very respectful. You should join the Pro Stock group & share some stories. Lots of Wally fans over there & of course Grumpy fans. You would be a hero

A guy I used to race against named Steve Taylor was an old S/S racer. He was a Chevy guy & was put in the NC drag racing hall of fame a few years ago. He is deciest now. He ran a A12 Super Bee for one year. He also didn't like it saying it was too hard to tune. His wife Brenda who still races told me she liked the car because it was yellow with the Bee on the side & wanted him to keep it. He sold it to get a SS 427 4 speed Nova that was never put on the street. This car was destroyed in a tornado a few years ago sitting in a barn near Fayetteville, NC. You guys may have ran against the yellow Bee

Oh yea very famialiar with Wally Booth & very respectful. You should join the Pro Stock group & share some stories. Lots of Wally fans over there & of course Grumpy fans. You would be a hero

It's a picture I took myself back in 69 Bob. That's why you haven't seen it. I have several more taken that summer and your welcome to post them on the pro stock group. Do you have a link to the site......? I'd love to check it out.

wally's dodge.jpg

It's a Facebook group called Pro Stock. Has over 9000 members. They will only allow Pro Stock pics & stories on there. There are several MOPAR S/S groups that would love to see the pics. Please join if you like that kind of stuff. I will post the pics in the S/S group(s). The Pro Stock group can get a little tense. Some hard feeling over there sometimes.

I just don't understand. I'm not criticizing or complaining.
I'm boggled by the fact you bought a car from a dealer and raced it to you buy the head lights and tail lights and you fill in everything in between. What right do you have calling it a Chevrolet or a Dodge, etc? Noo it's not.

I just don't understand. I'm not criticizing or complaining.
I'm boggled by the fact you bought a car from a dealer and raced it to you buy the head lights and tail lights and you fill in everything in between. What right do you have calling it a Chevrolet or a Dodge, etc? Noo it's not.

you lost me Stan

Ok, I'm with ya. Yes they have screwed the bodies up. The engines are awesome 500 cubes ,1400 hp. 12000 RPM. 1 quart of fuel. 4 shifts in less than 6 seconds. Short wheel base. 214 MPH. Not too shabby. Several of the team owners on the PS group have said the stock bodies would fold up like a tent in a hurricane. Therefore the aero carbon bodies are a necessity

Last edited:
Yea Funny car bodies are all screwed up too. Not only do they not look like FERDS, chebbies or MOpars. They don't look like cars period.

Back