Dodge big trucks

original_DSC00086.jpg

ram-6500-article-allpar

51rf2iVU5PL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
66-80.jpg

A Dodge LNT1000 tractor with four axles (three are driven). It is pulling two trailers in tandem, having nine axles as well. If you were to count all the wheels, the grand total would make the truck a fifty wheeler.

What is notable about these trucks is their design features and cab construction. In order to reduce weight, the cabs for these trucks were made out of aluminum while the lower body panels (grille and fenders) were fabricated in fiberglass.

These trucks were also called Michigan "centipedes" due to the large number of axles they had.

source: Big Dodge Trucks:'61-'71 Dodge Truck Website

Not wanting to start a "debate" in this wonderful thread about "1 of 1" vehicles (my lame joke to some other thread that hit the guardrail yesterday), but this one may actually be that unique.

you all who know stuff can decide what you think :).

66-76.jpg
66-79.jpg
66-82.jpg
66-80.jpg
66-78.jpg

Aaron Arnold of Boerne, Texas, owns this one of a kind Perkins Diesel powered W-300. The truck is the only Perkins Diesel powered W-300 known to exist and one of a rare few W-300 Crew Cab Trucks.

Although originally equipped to haul horses, the truck now has a Utiline bed on the rear of the chassis (see photos below). This unique truck has the following specifications:

• 354 ci Six Cylinder Perkins Diesel Engine, English built (Eng. # 8044081)
  • 146" wheelbase
  • NP 420 Transmission with special bellhousing
  • NP 201 Twin-Stick Transfer Case
  • Dana 70 Front and Rear Differentials (4.88:1 gears)
  • Dual Rear Wheels
  • MU-2A Braden PTO Winch (10,000lb capacity)
  • Dual Batteries
  • Dash mounted Throttle Pull Handle
  • Mechanical Tachometer with hours meter
  • Medium Duty Truck Steering Wheel
  • Full Length Running Boards
  • Power Brakes with Vacuum Pump and reserve tank
  • Diesel Fender Emblems under Dodge Emblems (same script)
  • Cold Weather Start decal, pull knob and ether bottle on firewall
  • Pull to Stop Engine decal with knob
  • Use Diesel Fuel Only decal along with 20 gallon tank behind seat
  • Chrysler Perkins Industrial Diesel decal on valve cover
  • Bostrom Viking T-bar seats (possibly a dealer installed option)
  • Interesting Statistics: PW-300
    • Curb Weight: 6,860lbs
    • Gas Mileage: 17-18 at 65 mph
    • Engine Oil Capacity: 16.5 quart

Last edited:
Not wanting to start a "debate" in this wonderful thread about "1 of 1" vehicles (my lame joke to some other thread that hit the guardrail yesterday), but this one may actually be that unique.

I don't know about one of one but it's mean looking, I would drive it

Last one of the W-300's then I am moving on.

I am starting to get a fascination for this era Powerwagon (the ones from the 1950's to mid 1960's).

Anyway, when TACOM needed a "mudder", here's one of them from 1962 (i didn't know these giant tires existed back then - and earlier from commando1's post above).

66-78.jpg

Last edited:

you all who know stuff can decide what you think :).

View attachment 88174 View attachment 88176 View attachment 88178 View attachment 88177 View attachment 88175

Aaron Arnold of Boerne, Texas, owns this one of a kind Perkins Diesel powered W-300. The truck is the only Perkins Diesel powered W-300 known to exist and one of a rare few W-300 Crew Cab Trucks.

Although originally equipped to haul horses, the truck now has a Utiline bed on the rear of the chassis (see photos below). This unique truck has the following specifications:

• 354 ci Six Cylinder Perkins Diesel Engine, English built (Eng. # 8044081)
  • 146" wheelbase
  • NP 420 Transmission with special bellhousing
  • NP 201 Twin-Stick Transfer Case
  • Dana 70 Front and Rear Differentials (4.88:1 gears)
  • Dual Rear Wheels
  • MU-2A Braden PTO Winch (10,000lb capacity)
  • Dual Batteries
  • Dash mounted Throttle Pull Handle
  • Mechanical Tachometer with hours meter
  • Medium Duty Truck Steering Wheel
  • Full Length Running Boards
  • Power Brakes with Vacuum Pump and reserve tank
  • Diesel Fender Emblems under Dodge Emblems (same script)
  • Cold Weather Start decal, pull knob and ether bottle on firewall
  • Pull to Stop Engine decal with knob
  • Use Diesel Fuel Only decal along with 20 gallon tank behind seat
  • Chrysler Perkins Industrial Diesel decal on valve cover
  • Bostrom Viking T-bar seats (possibly a dealer installed option)
  • Interesting Statistics: PW-300
    • Curb Weight: 6,860lbs
    • Gas Mileage: 17-18 at 65 mph
    • Engine Oil Capacity: 16.5 quart
17 MPG@65MPH???

The tires must be a lot taller than they look. I'm thinking that Perkins is going to be turning 4K RPM to spin 4.88's to 65 MPH.

Kevin

17 MPG@65MPH???

The tires must be a lot taller than they look. I'm thinking that Perkins is going to be turning 4K RPM to spin 4.88's to 65 MPH.

Kevin

If they are 33" diameter, RPM at 60 would be 2984 rounded of course.

good points.

I ain't a truck guy, so a lot of the equipment list weren't things that had much relevance to me as they would to someone who knows these trucks.

The Perkins 6-354 was (1) supposedly only used in Dodge 500 series trucks back then, and (2) had a redline of 2800 rpm.

source: Dodge 500 series trucks in the UK (Fargo - DeSoto)

SO, to get 4.88's to 65 mph MUST be over 2800 rpm as noted. This specification -- the mpg at 65 with those gears .-- was the one of the few I understood but didn't really believe.

Last edited:
The Cabovers ...interesting truck. are these "sleeper" models, or not enough room behind seats for that?

Sorry for dumb question, but exactly HOW was the cab tilted (e.g, two guys by hand, with a crane/jack, power assist??)

66-77.jpg
66-78.jpg
66-79.jpg
66-82.jpg

L-series Tilt cab trucks by Dodge were the most "Big Rig" like vehicles that they had ever produced. These cab-over-engine, aluminum and fiberglass bodied trucks were short and manuverable while being well designed with driver comfort and convenience a first.

More specifically, the upper tilting cab body was of aluminum while the lower portions of the truck including the headlight panels and wheel surrounds were of fiberglass.

A whopping 2,087 square inches of lightly tinted windshield glass allowed for excellent visibility. Large air actuated windshield wipers kept the view clear when the weather got rough.

The initial purpose for building these trucks was to supply the market with a competitive cab-over, high tonnage truck.

Last edited:
Back