Dodge big trucks

Actually a "318" is an 8v71 just like your bus with standard timing and N65 injectors. There were various ratings depending on injector timing and injector size, naturally aspirated or turbo.

Kevin
Isn't an 8v71 a 568? I would have thought a 318 would be a 6-53.

The 318 refers to horsepower.

Kevin
Most diesels are rated by horsepower or kilowatts. The same N14 that is in my truck can be rated from 300- 550 there are some internal changes, piston material, compression ratios, injector flow rates but the displacement remains the same.

Most diesels are rated by horsepower or kilowatts. The same N14 that is in my truck can be rated from 300- 550 there are some internal changes, piston material, compression ratios, injector flow rates but the displacement remains the same.
One year, the new tractors that entered service in our fleet came with the engine rated at 350. and I bribed one of the guys in the shop to reprogram the 'puter in my assigned tractor. Then another driver did it. And then another. Fleet manager pulled in these tractors for an inspection because their acceptable mpg' s were below the acceptable norm. They were sent to Cummins. Cummins found who did what when by checking the time stamp in the data logger. Well, that ended that and they punished the drivers by limiting the top speed to 62 mph until their mpg average fell back into the normal range. That sucked. :BangHead:

The 318 refers to horsepower.

Kevin

I was initially just going to say nope, but did some searching first and coincidentally this has brought up many arguments because one designation fits 2 different engines... 6 cylinders at 53 cubes per cylinder is 318 cubic inches, but also was the HP of an 8-71 commonly used in trucks. Evidently from a few sources the 318 title referring to hp used on the 8-71 was a truck thing and heavy equipment and marine engines used the cylinder/cubic inch titles. Everything in my manuals for my bus also refer to it as an 8-71.

One year, the new tractors that entered service in our fleet came with the engine rated at 350. and I bribed one of the guys in the shop to reprogram the 'puter in my assigned tractor. Then another driver did it. And then another. Fleet manager pulled in these tractors for an inspection because their acceptable mpg' s were below the acceptable norm. They were sent to Cummins. Cummins found who did what when by checking the time stamp in the data logger. Well, that ended that and they punished the drivers by limiting the top speed to 62 mph until their mpg average fell back into the normal range. That sucked. :BangHead:

Nothing like getting your nuts clipped to gain your attention

Unknowingly passed the owners wife going down the hwy at more than the suggested speed. Needless to say my truck was in the shop the next am, and only ran up to 64 mph for a month :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I love all these Pu and vans with the speed monitored by GPS.
I usually call and ask for the personal number of the person who made this decision so I can call them at home in the evening because I'm still out from following one of their slow asses around. About then I get "disconnected" LOL.
Sometimes they put me on hold and I leave it connected till someone else calls me.

Eveything everyone does anywhere, anytime, is being monitored by someone, somewhere. It's The Nanny State.

Back