Drum brake pushrod length

D Cluley

Reaction score
My '65 Chrysler has power drum brakes that have been converted to a dual res MC.

I want to make sure that the pushrod is adjusted correctly and any info I have found is for disc brake cars.

What is the proper length for this setup?

My '65 Chrysler has power drum brakes that have been converted to a dual res MC.

I want to make sure that the pushrod is adjusted correctly and any info I have found is for disc brake cars.

What is the proper length for this setup?

I'm guessing that you have probably put the split system master cylinder on the 65 Chrysler booster. If that is the case, the factory length is not going to be appropriate.
You can check the adjustment by observing how much free play you have by applying the brakes. You should have 3/4" to 1" free play, less that that the brakes may not release properly, more and the car may not stop properly. The above values assume that all brakes are properly adjusted.

Dave

The single and dual reservoir DRUM brake systems all used the same single diaphragm booster for years (the one with the single clamp band). Pushrod adjustments AFAIK didn't really vary.

As noted above, check brake pedal free play. I don't know if (as in disc systems) the booster pushrod should be contacting the master as you're bolting it down, pushing about 1/16". Makes sense to me though.

Back