edelbrock heads?

jrm

Reaction score
Anybody use edelbrock heads?
I can get a pretty good deal on a set for my361 wondering if they are a good deal or is there a better head for a cruising car.
john

What are you planning to do with it just cruise or do you want to make some power? If all you are doing is cruising and not a performance rebuild you may be wasting money on the Edelbrocks.

If they are the standard port head and a good deal like the cost of rebuilding your iron heads I would go for it. Rpms or Victor's I would not use on 361.

Thanks. Not looking to make power so much as just cruising my 880.
Car is using oil, 250 miles per qt. Did a compression test 120 to 110 psi per cyl. Vacuum gage reads good, 20. So guessing valve seals r the problem. Instead of doing the work on 50 yr old heads just go ahead and buy good heads now that can be used on a total rebuild later.
Are they good? Aluminum would drop a bunch of weight off the motor.
I use the car for general cruising only.

With the amount of oil your using I think the oil rings are bad, like Dave said if you can get the standard head for a good price go for it.

You are absolutely not leaking some of that oil out?

No leaks from the motor, maybe a spot the size of a quarter after a few days sitting but the valve cover vent runs to the bottom of the engine so could be that.
Plugs arent wet w oil 6 had some carbon on 1 side of it but otherwise brown.
will probably buy the e heads from edelbrock and start collecting rebuild parts for a winter rebuild if it may be the oil control rings.
78,000 on the motor.

With a good set of heads your oil consumption is likely to increase and the 1.81" exhaust valves are going to be very close to the cylinder wall.

In my opinion....If you can get the Eddie heads for a good price get them. I would pull the engine out too and clean up the cylinders (may have to punch them a little) and new bearings, rings, gaskets and possibly pistons if you have to punch the cylinders a lot. Why not go through and clean up the entire engine with a quick rebuild and enjoy cruising for the next 20-30 years....You'll be glad you did it when you're done.

If they are the standard port head and a good deal like the cost of rebuilding your iron heads I would go for it. Rpms or Victor's I would not use on 361.

Not to raise a ruckus here but high performance heads and engines are my business. The RPMs are a standard port head as are the Victors unless you order the Max Wedge Victors. The ports won't be too big in volume but I fear the valves may be very close to the cylinder walls of a 361.

We've had the aluminum head discussion several times. How much for the Edelbrock heads at the point you're ready to turn the key? That's the question you need answered.

IMHO, I think you have other issues that need to be addressed with the rest of the engine before you spend your time and money on the Edelbrock heads.

As was said, you might have some issues with valve head being close to the cylinder walls. You are also going to be giving up some low end torque with the larger valves too.

Weight?? Your car won't notice the difference.

Your car isn't going to run any better or burn any less oil with the new heads. If you had a fresh 440 short block and was looking for heads, I'd say to go for it. What you have is a very tired 361. It's time to rebuild the engine. I'd have the existing heads done then and call it a day.

They make an e head I can get them for 1250 which seems a price I can live with.
The bore on the 361 is smaller than a 383, do u think it would be a problem w the valves hitting the cylinder on a stock profile cam?
Any info is appreciated.

The cam lift won't be the issue. It's the diameter of the valve head.

Don't spend another nickel on that 361 for "performance"
That's akin to giving grandma a hoverboard.
Do a solid, dead-reliable, rebuild or move up to an RB block.

Good info thanks, I was wanting to be able to drive the car more if I could get the oil consumption more in the 750 to 1k a qt but u guys are right a rebuild is the best and since it will be out I will get the trans looked at as well.
john.

Back