Engine bogging down on acceleration

Do you have a
Bog
Stutter
Hesitation?

Accel pump is likely for stutter or hesitation.
Not for bog. Bog is usually a rich condition when transitioning circuits in the carb.

New Eddy's
The 750 has problems that even changing the rods, jets, and springs can't cure from my experience. Head scratcher but it just doesn't run hard. It'll run consistent but not hard.
If I was buying any new Eddy I'd buy 800 avs.

Air door will feed it what it needs.
I would never put a 650 air choke on a 440. I know others feel differently

Bog or "flat spot" can also be from lean-ness in off-idle situations, not always accompanied by a "spit-back" through the carb.

On a metering rod carburetor, when the rods stay in the "down/economy" position as the engine needs more fuel, "no power", by observation. IF a 4bbl, "power" will happen only when the secondaries start to open.

By comparison, the Carter/Edelbrock accel pump nozzle is "slobbery" compared to the more precise Holley shooters. No real way around that that I've found.

CBODY67

Do you have a
Bog
Stutter
Hesitation?

Not for bog. Bog is usually a rich condition when transitioning circuits in the carb.
I forget the correct nomenclature. I would guess it's more of a "hesitation". When you accelerate from a stop, the engine acts like it is going to stall for a second, then works fine, especially if you let off the gas a little.

The last time I replaced an accelerator pump with one from Napa, the thing failed within a couple hundred miles. The valve material on the assembly looked like it was made of dried out leather. I thought a modern one from Edelbrock would work better.

Just bought some shop brand bearings from NAPA, Made in China. Worthless JUNK! Theze daze, NAPA sells CRAPPA! SAD!

Do you have a
Bog
Stutter
Hesitation?

This thread interests me because my Edelbrock Performer 1405 (600 cfm, manual choke) is rebuilt in the stock factory setup, #1 on the chart with sundry rode and jet combinations for desired performance. I bought the rod and jet kit for it, which I plan to carefully experiment with later this summer. I hope to twiddle it for optimal performance at this half mile elevation. Mine also bogs a trifle at low rpms when opening the throttle, though when the kickdown engages, it does very nicely! So, I think a little adjustment might improve things..... Will post you all.

It's all how we describe the seat of the pants stuff I guess.
Yes lean but with correct accel pump doesn't stumble but will just feel weak all the time. I don't call that a bog. You figure that out by going up 2 jet sizes and see if it feels more powerful with no black out the tail pipe.
Bog will often have black out the tail pipe. You reduce pump shot duration and possibly change the power valve in a Holley or springs in a carterbrock.

Back