Engine swap should I go 360 or 383

I understand completely. Some guys think this stuff is made of gold.

Just for the sake of discussion with anyone else contemplating swapping, here is a decent list of interchangeable parts with the LA and the Poly. Poly 318 Polyspherical Parts Interchange - Poly318.com
A VERY interesting and informative link! Many differences, like I remember reading about ages ago, but not quite as simple as some (as UTG) seem to make them out to be. More differences than I ever suspected! As some design "hard points" still live on today in Gen III Hemi architecture.

Bad thing is that with all of the "way over-engineered" rear of the crankshaft things Chrysler did back then, it seems that almost NONE of the early blocks can easily accept modern transmission behind them, unlike the Chevy V-8 competition can, which is a shame, to me. Some of the same mis-steps could have saved the corp money while making their non-Hemi engines more attractive in the process. Oh well . . .

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Most people think backwards on automotive development.

Instead think forward. Pick a year to start, like 1955. Now this will show you they didn't have a 727 yet and didn't know how great they would be. So they were stuck with powerflights and cast iron torqueflight.

Imo I'd find a cheap 360 to pep it up and then focus on Grandpa's roadrunner sitting there!
I also have a red 72, though it's a clone with the correct grill and such

Imo I'd find a cheap 360 to pep it up and then focus on Grandpa's roadrunner sitting there!
I also have a red 72, though it's a clone with the correct grill and such
Yea we've been working on the road runner rebuilt a 440 and trans dropped it in after it got back from paint we are just buttoning up the engine bay then we start redoing the interior. But yea I'm trying to bring some life to my fury as well we rebuilt and sold a 72 duster so I'm trying to put some time into the fury to get it where I want it

I don't know anything about the poly.
I have had a lot of stock 360 two-barrel motors in big 74 and later Mopar products. They worked very well. Plenty of usable torque. I never modified a 360.

The 318 and 360 Magnum motors made from 1991 forward have been even better. Both make "a lot more power" than the earlier two-barrel motors. I have run them to 300k plus miles and never have the valve cover off of one, and never put less than 175k miles on one. The 318 Magnum doesn't get up on the cam until 3200 rpm. Both like 3.55 rear gear, and the 3.91 with the overdrive trans.

My 360 Magnum 1997 b2500 conversion van with 3.55 rear gets 14 to 18 mpg and accelerates better than my late 60s 383 two-barrel C bodies did. My 98 B3500 with the 360 Magnum motor has "much" more pulling power with a 4.10 rear gear. 12 to 16 mpg.

My 3800 pound plus driver and gas 93 Dakota 318 Magnum with 3.91 rear accelerates faster than my 68 383 Road Runner with the same rear did. It gets 15 to 18 mpg.

I would NOT ditch the Magnum simple direct injection fuel system and convert a Magnum to carburetor.
I would definitely try to use the big 518 (it's a 727 plus added on overdrive tail housing) that was an early (91 to 95 ?) standalone all hydraulic (no computer) 4 speed auto overdrive trans, along with a 3.91 or 4.10 rear gear in a C body if I went with the 360 Magnum.
Don't know if the Mopar shorty stainless headers fit.

Explained in the Poly318 link @Big_John supplied above. There were "Marine" versions with an "M" cast into the cyl heads or whatever.

CBODY67
Understood I will look into what I can get out of the poly more in depth while I search for a 360 la, so I can see which route I'll take but Im thinking about doing a stroked 360 and just holding on to the 383 I have till a later date or a different project but time will.

There is a
Understood I will look into what I can get out of the poly more in depth while I search for a 360 la, so I can see which route I'll take but Im thinking about doing a stroked 360 and just holding on to the 383 I have till a later date or a different project but time will.

The 360 LA is probably not hard to come by. I purchased a good 360 four barrel for $300 a few months ago. I think it's from a 1980 Plymouth Volare cop car.
Didn't want it, somebody needed a little money, so. Anyway, looking for a 70s Dart/Valiant to put it in. Because of fond 69 GTS memories.

Back