Ethanol discussion

Why do the carbs still gum up if 2 stroke oil prevents this?
It does not prevent this. It coats internal parts with oil to prevent corrosion and rust. Some claim better fuel mileage, I cannot verify that because my driving is all over, from idling in traffic at Buckeye lake cruise to burnouts at same, to cruising to Carlisle on back roads to blazing down the interstate after work going to the Nats.
Let's face it, your going to get sediment and goop in your float bowls because if it does not evaporate with the gasoline out the vent it is residue left behind. If you think that ethonol is the only thing added to modern gasoline, let alone all the contaminates it accumulates from the refinery to your carburetor

run 87 octane sunoco unleaded in my bone stock 65 300. same 383 w/afb it had when it left the factory. car sits six months of the year over winter up on a lift in the back of my garage. never fails to start in spring. i commute with it during summer and it runs dead nut perfect. point triggered, it fires right over. never misses, hesitates, nothing. runs like bear. knock on wood.

I really have to believe it's a lot of hype to sell snake oil additives that " trap or convert the ethanol" . Trap it and do what with it, trapped or encapsulated so what it has to pass through combustion process without burning. Converts it to what? The moisture it collects is more detrimental to performance than the ethanol itself.

This was recommended to me by an engine builder who uses it in all his engines and recommends it to others. Works for those who do not use hardened exhaust seats. Defender + Booster Fuel Additive

I use the Stabil 360 in my cars. It seems to make them run a little better, and it keeps the ethanol laced gas fresher for longer as well as ethanol free if you have it in your area. Sold at Walmart.

The moisture it collects is more detrimental to performance than the ethanol itself.
KISS $1.98
my8UMaeT-WhHwrewNuYc4XQ.jpg

run 87 octane sunoco unleaded in my bone stock 65 300. same 383 w/afb it had when it left the factory. car sits six months of the year over winter up on a lift in the back of my garage. never fails to start in spring. i commute with it during summer and it runs dead nut perfect. point triggered, it fires right over. never misses, hesitates, nothing. runs like bear. knock on wood.
What's the compression on your 383?

FWIW... over the last couple of years, WAWA has made a huge market presence here. They offer ethanol free at many locations around me and I run it in everything I own. I figure I probably pick up enough fuel economy to offset a little of the 50 cent price difference and maybe the eventual fuel system damages from ethanol will take care of the rest.

I don't doctor fuel much, but have tried the 2 stroke oil... I'm unconvinced, but at least I know I'm doing my part to raise tailpipe emissions. :D

Back