Exhaust hangers- what's original for 68

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The talk about new exhaust systems on another thread got me investigating my exhaust hangers and wondering what is stock and what is universal in exhaust hangers. My 68 Dodge w/ 383 and single exhaust had this hanger. I added dual exhaust back in high school (late 80's). And don't remember what I kept of the original hanger or If I borrowed it off the donor car. The 70's GM Donor car had a fairly new exhaust system and a blown engine. Our VICA club sold tickets at the high school carnival to smash it with a sledge hammer, glass and all. We did this on the front sidewalk of the school. ( not a chance of doing that today).
Back to the original question. Is this exhaust hanger stock for 68 Dodge? The ones I looked at on TTI exhaust were different.
IMG_5158.JPG

Thanks

The talk about new exhaust systems on another thread got me investigating my exhaust hangers and wondering what is stock and what is universal in exhaust hangers. My 68 Dodge w/ 383 and single exhaust had this hanger. I added dual exhaust back in high school (late 80's). And don't remember what I kept of the original hanger or If I borrowed it off the donor car. The 70's GM Donor car had a fairly new exhaust system and a blown engine. Our VICA club sold tickets at the high school carnival to smash it with a sledge hammer, glass and all. We did this on the front sidewalk of the school. ( not a chance of doing that today).
Back to the original question. Is this exhaust hanger stock for 68 Dodge? The ones I looked at on TTI exhaust were different.
View attachment 115151
Thanks
It looks like the standard 65 to 68 hangar located over the axle. Looks like many of the original parts, note the salvaged whitewall tire rubber part. May be slightly bent.
Mark

Thanks. Hundreds of miles on gravel roads at 70 mph does tend to distort things.
I did do a quick ebay search for 68 Dodge and similar ones came up as NOS, with the white one one side

Check the Walker Exhaust catalog, in their section on hangers and probably in their system illustrations for the particular vehicle, as they usually match the OEM hangers in there. Not sure about that one, though. Other C-body rear hangers were a part of the rear muffler clamp, with two strips of black rubber being the insulation. The one pictured would have been over the rear axle, as mentioned. There's also another hanger at the rear bumper area. A L-shaped (held on with an exhaust clamp) item which slides into a slotted rubber block (attached to the body)

There are some aftermarket "will fits" for the rear muffler clamp/hanger, but they don't last like the Walker items to, from experience.

CBODY67

Back