Exhaust note?

peterlucas

Reaction score
i had my exhaust done a while ago and was very happy with the sound, but when they done it one side its got bugger all room between the chassis and the leaf spring and it clanks quite a bit , its taken me a while to notice as it was off the road almost straight after for a while getting panel and painted and then had a heap of **** in boot and thought it was that clanking around, but now all emptied and ready for americarna (big cruise and car show here in NZ) the clanking is pissing me off,the mufflers are just in front of the axle and the pipe goes over the axle etc, i went and seen the guy who done exhaust today and he said he will weld me up some turn downs and i can unbolt the back section from muffler back and bolt these turn downs on to eliminate the clanking for americarna, i unbolted the back section tonight so tomo i can just bolt the turn downs on and it sounds bloody horrible haha real dronny , will adding the turn downs change it?

Will the turn downs change the note? Probably. Will they fix it? Don't know, but I'd guess not.

If he's going to be doing some fab work, why don't you ask him to fab up a proper fix for your car? There's no reason a properly-built exhaust should clank on the springs or chassis. I think the line used in another thread was, "I'd have paid extra to have it done right, but I won't pay anything to have it fixed."

Yes, it will. If he bent it and it hits, he should be fixing it. There's a TON of room to get piping between everything and tight enough to the body to keep clear of the axle. If it's bouncing around and hitting, have him add hangers to properly support it.

I had turndowns on my 65 Sport Fury, just ahead of the axle, under the car. OMG!!! The noise was awful. I could actually watch fasteners unscrew themselves from the dash trim from the vibration. (Flow master mufflers). I just couldn't take it and had them put full tailpipes on. If they take their time, they should be able to do it right. MUCH better.

If you want turndowns, they WILL affect the exhaust note! If you do this in front of the axle, you will have exactly what Badvert65 described above - a miserable sound and VERY LOUD inside the car; plus you stir up a lot of dust and dirt, too. Turndowns right under the rear bumper are good, but personally, I go with no more than a 30* downturn. With a pair of Magnaflows or Flowmasters, the sound is too much like a late-model Mustang for my tastes. I prefer a pair of 2-1/2" Smithy glasspacks with a crossover pipe to balance things out, with the tailpipes going back to the bumper with a slight turndown. An amazingly mellow and unobjectionable sound is created! If you have good sound insulation in your floors, you'll definitely like the sound. If not, nearly any loud exhaust is going to feel and sound loud in the car.

how close can the exhaust exit be to the fuel tank, i could modify the existing ones so they go up and over the diff and dump down each side behind the diff, this is where they run at the moment but then then ran them out the sidesand dumping down just behind the wheel, but they ran them between the chassis and leaf spring

Back