(First car) 77 Newport Odometer and Aftermarket Choke

NewportLover77

Reaction score
As my first car, I'm kinda clueless. The odometer doesn't work, nor does the trip. The speedometer works. So I pulled it out, now when I check for the malfunction, what direction do I turn it? Forward of reverse?

Now I'm not too into how all the certain criteria and nuances with Newports. Could there be a reason as to why the Trip would cut into the piece below it?

Also, is there a way to disconnect the choke? The PO put a choke on there all funny, I've got really no idea how I would disconnect it. I think it might be aftermarket, I'm not sure. I can upload photos if needed.

As my first car, I'm kinda clueless. The odometer doesn't work, nor does the trip. The speedometer works. So I pulled it out, now when I check for the malfunction, what direction do I turn it? Forward of reverse?

Now I'm not too into how all the certain criteria and nuances with Newports. Could there be a reason as to why the Trip would cut into the piece below it?

Also, is there a way to disconnect the choke? The PO put a choke on there all funny, I've got really no idea how I would disconnect it. I think it might be aftermarket, I'm not sure. I can upload photos if needed.
If the speedometer works, that means the cable and transmission gear are intact and working. That means the problem is in the speedometer head somewhere. It may be the easiest to find another and replace the entire unit.

A picture of the choke will help a lot. Why do you want to disconnect?

If the speedometer works, that means the cable and transmission gear are intact and working. That means the problem is in the speedometer head somewhere. It may be the easiest to find another and replace the entire unit.

Thank you! I will definitely look. I mean I have a second speedometer dash. Would the trip stopping completely stop the entire system? Causing I was messing with the other one trying to understand it. And it seemed like they were connected.

Look in the factory service manuals at www.mymopar.com to see what the choke should look like, as to configuration. I KNOW there are no '77 service manuals in there, but the basic choke mechanisms did not change that much from 1972 for any Chry brand. Later ones had an electric heat assist element, which needed the taller choke casting on the intake manifold, but the basic "what was on the carburetor" was still very similar if not the same.

The trip odometer does work off of the main odometer. Some sort of coupling between them. Only the trip odometer can be re-set, though. There is a small plastic gear that runs off of the speedo cable at the rear speed cup on the back of the speedometer. It might be stripped or worn. As I recall, the trip odo only rolls the numbers forward?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Look in the factory service manuals at www.mymopar.com to see what the choke should look like, as to configuration. I KNOW there are no '77 service manuals in there, but the basic choke mechanisms did not change that much from 1972 for any Chry brand. Later ones had an electric heat assist element, which needed the taller choke casting on the intake manifold, but the basic "what was on the carburetor" was still very similar if not the same.

The trip odometer does work off of the main odometer. Some sort of coupling between them. Only the trip odometer can be re-set, though. There is a small plastic gear that runs off of the speedo cable at the rear speed cup on the back of the speedometer. It might be stripped or worn. As I recall, the trip odo only rolls the numbers forward?

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thank you so much!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Here is an image of the choke

IMG20240924155718.jpg

IMG20240924155714.jpg

How do I remove it?
It's going to depend on how it's hooked to the carb, but yea... Basically unhook it from the carb and and pull it back through the dash. It looks like the nut that holds it in the dash is missing so that makes it easier.

Back