Formal wheel opinion - Factory wheel covers or Chrome Road Wheels??

Also, at risk of thread hijacking, that's a very striking two-tone, commando1. I've never seen the like before on one of these cars.
Yes, I've been in love with that one since I first saw it. Two tone should have been a factory option on the formals.

I think the road wheels look good on anything, except maybe a slab.

Commando 1's would look wrong without them.

Also, at risk of thread hijacking, that's a very striking two-tone, commando1. I've never seen the like before on one of these cars.
It was controversial because there never were 2 tone Formals and it was too GM-ish plus many didn't like the tinted glass.

It was controversial because there never were 2 tone Formals and it was too GM-ish plus many didn't like the tinted glass.
Screw them if they didn't like it. I always thought it was very tasteful.

Not a lot of C-body custom paint appeals to me. @Stargazer 's car has the right look too. That one has been defarbed of most of the trim and that makes the car's paint look right. IMHO, with big cars, you either have to have subtle paint that follows and accentuates the panels, or you just have to go all the way and pull out every trick in the 70's paint book.

1700149096693.png

My 73 Mist Green Newport came with optional Premium wheel covers. Not a real pretty wheel cover but talk about heavy!!

How about the Cordoba wire wheel covers ? The ones that weigh about 50 lbs each ? :lol:
Oh jeez, they were the first things to come off my Imperial. And boy them are some ugly caps. Dad joked I'd be getting better mileage and power without them. Luckily I stumbled upon a set of optional aluminum wheels.

road wheels make everything look better...........
Wow, Marko. That van pic surprised me. I wouldn't have thought you could possibly put a rear-drive wheel on a front-drive vehicle. The offset should be way different. There must be all kinds of spacers and adapters on that thing.

Wow, Marko. That van pic surprised me. I wouldn't have thought you could possibly put a rear-drive wheel on a front-drive vehicle. The offset should be way different. There must be all kinds of spacers and adapters on that thing.
I don't think there are. My parents have one of those vans and stock rims have quite a bit of backspacing and are narrower. I'm assuming those just bolted right on there.

And they really do look good on it. Those whitewalls work with it.

I love the road wheels. I have about $300.00 into the set on my New Yorker. I also, just picked up 4 more minus trim rings and a center cap for $60.00 for all 4.

20230527_111409.jpg

20200312_172257.jpg

Pretty & unique New Yorker, 6PKRTSE. Very unusual to see one without the fender skirts or opera windows. You won't run across a twin of that one at any show, I'd say.

Pretty & unique New Yorker, 6PKRTSE. Very unusual to see one without the fender skirts or opera windows. You won't run across a twin of that one at any show, I'd say.
I have the fender skirts in the trunk. Everyone likes it better without them. I do not, but still missing the brackets to put them back on.
For some unknown reason the fender skirt pictures of the car with them installed will not load?

I have the fender skirts in the trunk.
You surprise me there, actually. I see the rear chrome wheel lip moldings, and I thought those were a sure sign of a car ordered without the skirts. (If skirts are present, the molding goes along the bottom of them instead.) That would explain the lack of brackets, too.

Is there any chance the previous owner included skirts from another car? I've heard of things like that happening.

I like roadwheels. But I agree, seems like everyone has a set on their C. Personally, I Hate wheel covers with a passion.

My 78 NYB had Aluminum Doba rims and RWL and I loved it.

FB_IMG_1533052008086.jpg

you can see the rear moldings are the thicker ones used in 78 when fender skirts became an option unlike other years when they were standard. when the thicker rear moldings were used, the front ones were matching thickness as well

You surprise me there, actually. I see the rear chrome wheel lip moldings, and I thought those were a sure sign of a car ordered without the skirts. (If skirts are present, the molding goes along the bottom of them instead.) That would explain the lack of brackets, too.

Is there any chance the previous owner included skirts from another car? I've heard of things like that happening.

The skirts came on the car. The skirts also have the mouldings on them and are the same color green as the car. My brother owned it before me. He took them off.

Back