Formal wheel opinion - Factory wheel covers or Chrome Road Wheels??

my 2nd sunroof Salon

cobbling 013.jpg

cobbling 015.jpg

Wow, Marco, your car looks a lot like mine (save the wheels). Do you have the dark red leather too?

Speaking of wheels--I've only seen one true full-size Mopar with the wire wheel covers that were so common on the smaller cars--Cordoba, Fifth Avenue, etc. It's up on Craigs List now. Wonder how much trouble those were to fit?

1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham for sale by owner - Louisville, KY - craigslist

ImpPicForEmail.jpg

Wow, Marco, your car looks a lot like mine (save the wheels). Do you have the dark red leather too?

Speaking of wheels--I've only seen one true full-size Mopar with the wire wheel covers that were so common on the smaller cars--Cordoba, Fifth Avenue, etc. It's up on Craigs List now. Wonder how much trouble those were to fit?

1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham for sale by owner - Louisville, KY - craigslist

View attachment 640440

that was my 2nd sunroof 78 Salon ( im on my 3rd) all Salons were silver clear coat paint w silver vinyl roofs, that car's roof had been dyed red. in 78 they didnt offer the burgundy interior, it was now bordello red ! and Salons had either pale gray or bright red interiors like the car for sale in Kentucky
its no big deal to put the wire wheel cover on, same as any other wheel cover.
please dont put em on your beautiful imperial !

The MOPAR wire covers I had also had a bolt in the center that went into a cup riveted to the steel wheel. It was needed to keep them in place; those things were heavy!
Those were on my '83 E Class.

Yes, mopar preferred, I believe I remember some special hardware behind the wire covers on my '83 New Yorker. They lock with a key, so there has to be things back there to make that work.

Thanks for the compliment, Marco. No fear of my changing wheels--I do like the road wheels very much. I also like the dark red top & interior on my car, but the gray is not so much to my taste. I'd kind of like to turn it white, but other things are higher priority right now.

While reading through the optional equipment list for these cars, I noticed that road wheels weren't available with the HD towing package or for the T&C Wagons. Does anybody know if there's a reason for this, are the road wheels weaker than traditional steelies?

C9CCFBD4-0E59-4F0A-B8D9-EDDCEEB2BE5A_1_105_c.jpeg

While reading through the optional equipment list for these cars, I noticed that road wheels weren't available with the HD towing package or for the T&C Wagons. Does anybody know if there's a reason for this, are the road wheels weaker than traditional steelies?

View attachment 640950
6 1/2" wide wheel with the towing package.

I still prefer the caps. Actually seeing the road wheels on, she still looks pretty damn beautiful.
:thumbsup:

But, if I ever find myself a formal coupe it'll probably have slotted aluminums or spider caps.

Back