Fuel pump repacement, what a *****:

Learned about the grease trick from you guys!
My 383 f.p. rod replacement took less than an hour. All work was done from the top. Yeah, it’s a little tight but the hardest part was getting a light on those bolts. Probably did most work by “feel”.

I hope you at least measured your rod while you had it out.

I've had a thermostat job go bad.
And an oil change.
And a headlight replacement.
ALL "15 minute " jobs..
It was harsh calling Bulldog out like that.
He gave it a go and got it done without running to FaceBook and crying like a little girl.
Certainly didn't mean offence! have seen those threads turn into "how to change valves" threads ! Lol

Can't tell you how many times I drained the coolant, only to need it back in there to fire the car up for one reason or another to test something else. For example, adding coolant only to forget that I did not thread seal an exhaust manifold, then watching the coolant come back out of the bolt hole. Rinse, lather, repeat...yoy stupido..

Can't tell you how many times I drained the coolant, only to need it back in there to fire the car up for one reason or another to test something else. For example, adding coolant only to forget that I did not thread seal an exhaust manifold, then watching the coolant come back out of the bolt hole. Rinse, lather, repeat...yoy stupido..

"exhaust manifold bolt" is what I meant to say

Have you ever seen a timing chain job go bad? yeah. It's harsh alright..
Yep... when it's 20+ hours of labor and you need to go back in sucks... Sucks more if you have the rare privilege of destroying a $60k engine... how about having half a dozen sprockets or so and having to time them all.

Personally, this was always the one that I was the most concerned when doing...
timingcoveroff.jpg

Lose control of one of those sprockets with the belt off and a bent valve is a good day... a cracked valve guide will make it worse...

Some I'd like to try...
This looks pretty straight forward...
cascada-pi%C3%B1ones.jpg

I hate VW for paying in hundredths vs tenths like the rest of the world... but I'd do this once...
4point2timingchain.jpg

Takes the intimidation out of this pretty fast...
dscf2284-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it gave me a hard time, but it was a pain in the ***. I do have the ability to work on any part of my car. Thanks for the back up Stan.
I spent 2 days putting a fuel pump in a 70's PU with a SBC and room to sit on the inner fenders... That was my first. Victory is sweet... getting there involves swearing.

All-time repair/replace blunders would be a good thread to read.
There's one in the archives somewhere. I remember reading about one of our well known old man with a hat members wondering why his car wouldn't start when the starter was still on the bench :lol:

Last edited:
There's one in the archives somewhere. I remember reading about one of our well known old man with a hat members wondering why his car wouldn't start when the starter was still on the bench :lol:

That is epic, often times it's the simple things in life.

For the newbies :
I was having a ***** of a time with a clutch problem.
I must have had that transmission in and out 3 or 4 times that afternoon and it kicked the crap out of me.
On the final go-around buttoning everything up, I was beyond beat.
So, satisfied that I had finally solved the problem, I dropped the car down and went to start it.
NOTHING. WTF? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Disgusted and destroyed physically and mentally, I grabbed a beer and returned to my shop to contemplate shooting the car and putting both of us out of our misery.
So, I sat back in my chair and swung around to put my feet up on the bench.
And there it was. My starter sitting on the bench. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Top that...:icon_fU:

For the newbies :
I was having a ***** of a time with a clutch problem.
I must have had that transmission in and out 3 or 4 times that afternoon and it kicked the crap out of me.
On the final go-around buttoning everything up, I was beyond beat.
So, satisfied that I had finally solved the problem, I dropped the car down and went to start it.
NOTHING. WTF? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Disgusted and destroyed physically and mentally, I grabbed a beer and returned to my shop to contemplate shooting the car and putting both of us out of our misery.
And there it was. My starter sitting on the bench. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

That's nigh impossible to top, not gonna try..although here's the best I've got: changing over from single MC to Dual, adding the brake fluid and forgetting to bleed the lines. Backed out of my garage (which is downhill, straight into the woods mind you), noticed the brakes not working, picking up speed, ****-or-get-off-the-pot time, I cut the wheel at the last second, just in time to avoid fetching my 4000lb. car out of the trees. Needless to say I then coasted down to the bottom of my road, but my heart felt like it was about to explode. Talk about stupid...:steering:

And your Emergency Brake was where? Heck I blew a brake hose on my Fury III DD, couldn't be arsed to fix it as I was using my motorcycle 24/7, then needed car, drove it all around just using the EB for quite awhile so much even till the shoes were metal to metal, then I fixed it.

Tip: On the cars that have a rod pull out emergency brake release, while on a long trip on the highway install a piece of cut/slit fuel line over the rod so you can use the EB to scrub off speed without lighting up the brake lights when you see a Gumball come up on ya in the rearview mirror. Saved my *** a few times.

That's nigh impossible to top, not gonna try..although here's the best I've got: changing over from single MC to Dual, adding the brake fluid and forgetting to bleed the lines. Backed out of my garage (which is downhill, straight into the woods mind you), noticed the brakes not working, picking up speed, ****-or-get-off-the-pot time, I cut the wheel at the last second, just in time to avoid fetching my 4000lb. car out of the trees. Needless to say I then coasted down to the bottom of my road, but my heart felt like it was about to explode. Talk about stupid...:steering:
I did one close... and think I may have beat Stan's due to the circumstances. At least his could have remained private.

I had a part time job at a pepboys in the late 90's, good crew at that time... we all worked our shifts and passed jobs back and forth so nobody was waiting for parts instead of making $$. My shift started at 6pm , which was also when I punched out at my regular job. I came in late to at least 8 hours of work and 2 1/2 to do it in. The entire time, the manager/advisor kept coming back and whining for me to drop what I was doing a jump on the next car.

So I'm hopscotching around 3 or 4 bays of work, getting neck deep in one and allowing myself to pulled to another. I had a brake job on one lift, which I was pulled off a job to do, and was then pulled off the brake job when the owner of a previously started job came early.

The first generation Sable I did the brakes on was on the floor and just need pumped and a test drive. I was finishing the other emergency and the Sable customers came back, so I walked around the car trying to remember if I missed anything. Wheels on, wheel caps on, rack kicked out... I closed the hood and jumped in to do the test drive they didn't want me to do.

I started her and pulled her into reverse as I stroked the pedal to the floor... POOP! I shoved her back into park and listened to the park pawl clicking away as I got in the second pump. Third pump I had a nice firm pedal, immediately after I was stopped by another customer's Town Car...

After I got to enjoy conversations with both customers, I answered every advisor who tried to push me through a day like that with GFY... let me get to a stopping point and then I'll help you.

I can see it now. One day you are going to arrive at the Pearly Gates and God will be there with his legs up having a beer. He'll see you and say "where do you think you are going?"

Back