Fuel pump repacement, what a *****:

I answered every advisor who tried to push me through a day like that with GFY... let me get to a stopping point and then I'll help you.
When ever I have to ask for or am asked for help, always let me get to a stopping point or when you get to a stopping point. I hate when I have to take something back apart because I have forgot a part.

I did a flywheel in a 90's Merc Cougar once and I didn't tighten up the bracket for the shift cable. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start, it started when I brought it in. I had the ign on and jumped the starter, it started and shot backwards into another car, crushing in the corner of the bumper cover. I didn't hurt the car it hit. After I calmed down I found the cable I left loose causing the trans to be in reverse not park, the neutral safety switch works after all.

For the newbies :
I was having a ***** of a time with a clutch problem.
I must have had that transmission in and out 3 or 4 times that afternoon and it kicked the crap out of me.
On the final go-around buttoning everything up, I was beyond beat.
So, satisfied that I had finally solved the problem, I dropped the car down and went to start it.
NOTHING. WTF? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Disgusted and destroyed physically and mentally, I grabbed a beer and returned to my shop to contemplate shooting the car and putting both of us out of our misery.
So, I sat back in my chair and swung around to put my feet up on the bench.
And there it was. My starter sitting on the bench. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Top that...:icon_fU:

I put the engine and trans in my race car one night... Typical work all day and then go work on the car... I always bolted the trans on and just dumped the whole assembly in. Got the engine in... bolted the mounts up... got the headers on... slid under the car to bolt the torque converter to the flex plate... and realized there was no torque converter... I could see it sitting on the floor near the bench.

Similar brake story here. Replaced all the lines, hadn't bled them yet, but took the car down off the jack stands in the rear. Discovered it was in neutral when it started inching back towards me. Got out of the way, jumped into the slowly rolling car and put it into park. This stopped the car fine, but now it is sitting sideways across the street. Problem is, to replace the front brake lines, the battery and the battery tray have to come out, so they were still in the garage, somewhere.

Fortunately it's not a very busy street, and I did manage to get the car started and carefully back into the driveway before anyone came along.

This type of socket really makes the job go waaaay easier. I would suggest it in 1/4” drive with at least 6” extension. Hopefully the correct bolts are in the fuel pump, they have a smaller hex head for the bolt size.

Remember we drive 50 year old cars:thumbsup:

DFA3BE5B-09B0-496E-B42E-3D3CE82E5960.jpeg

This socket!

Just changed the fuel pump on the 65 Monaco this weekend. Not a quick job by any stretch of the imagination, but not too bad. I put a Carter pump on it and of course the aftermarket newer fuel pumps are not even close to OEM. The outer mounting surface is not perfectly sized and the bolt holes are not sized perfectly. It'll never be OEM, just hope it starts the car.

Back