fuel tank sending unit leaks

moonrunner1972

Reaction score
I just replaced the tank and sending unit in my 1973 Polara and it is leaking around the locking ring. I am about to replace the rubber grommet that seals the unit. My question is should I use a sealant to avoid this problem from occuring again. I should probably mention that I am using a new locking ring and the factory recommended wrench to install the unit. Thanks for the help in advance.:confused2:

I just replaced the tank and sending unit in my 1973 Polara and it is leaking around the locking ring. I am about to replace the rubber grommet that seals the unit. My question is should I use a sealant to avoid this problem from occuring again. I should probably mention that I am using a new locking ring and the factory recommended wrench to install the unit. Thanks for the help in advance.:confused2:
I've installed new units on both my old cars and didn't use sealant. I just tapped them snug with a screwdriver and not a leak.

No sealant needed....Freds correct as usual..........snug it up and your good.

I did find that many of the new gaskets are thinner than the original, as well the locking ring is a little thinner. I used the new gasket with the old ring for a tighter fit.

still leaking :(

I foolishly tossed the original locking ring away. By chance does anyone have one for sale?:pray:

I wonder if they are reproduced.....since the gas tank is available you'd think the ring would be available.

Polara71,

:goodafternoon:They are reproduced and I have two of the kind you can purchase aftermarket but as previously mentioned they are a bit on the thin side in comparison to the OEM piece. I am hoping someone out there is willing to seel or donate one to me.

Back