Has anyone installed a grant steering wheel on a C-body with a telescoping column?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Grant steering wheel on a 74-78 NYB with a tilt and telescoping column? My original steering wheel is cracked and has 1/4" separation in three different locations. I have a beautiful wood Grant GT steering wheel and I looked up the installation on the Grant website and the installation kit 3196 says "for tilt only". I called Grant twice and got a very young individual who didn't really know anything about their products and just quoted the "tilt only" reference and didn't know if the telescoping column had anything to do with the installation. She put me on hold for 20 minutes to check with a tech and pretty much didn't have any reason or explanation why it wouldn't work with a telescoping column and referred to the "tilt only" for the kit. Maybe somebody on this site has successfully put a Grant steering wheel on a telescoping column? Or maybe there is a simple reason why it won't work at all on the telescoping column. Maybe the installation is possible but it won't telescope after installation. I'm fine with that too. I'll keep the old steering wheel to convert back to original configuration.

:smilie_help:

I'm going to make it as simple as possibke. There is NO aftermarket wheel made by anyone, anywhere, in any manner, including the use of adaptors, that will work on a 74-78 C-body with a tilt AND telescoping steering wheel. Period. AMHIK!

I'm going to make it as simple as possibke. There is NO aftermarket wheel made by anyone, anywhere, in any manner, including the use of adaptors, that will work on a 74-78 C-body with a tilt AND telescoping steering wheel. Period. AMHIK!

I would think because you tried and their something about the telescoping that prevents successful installation?

I would think because you tried and their something about the telescoping that prevents successful installation?

BINGO.
The locking lever for the telescope goes through the center of the steering wheel.

I have sucessfully fabricated a Chrysler splined hub to a GM steering wheel center but accomodating that stupid locking lever made the project stop dead in it's tracks. That slot needs to be routed out by a milling machine. $$-wise, it just wasn't worth it.

Pull your wheel off and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2rgi4k3.jpg

osc1ut.jpg

Last edited:
Thats not to say your original wheel can't be restored, and nicely too.

Garys steering wheel restoration will be at Carlisle, pricey but worth it.

Thanks Commando. Ya, I see that the silver sleeve on the column and the locking lever is a problem. I'll have to do something about the steering wheel, either find a replacement or see about having it repaired by Gary's restro. Thanks Polara 71. I'm still amazed daily by the level of knowledge and expertise that you's guys have. Thanks again!

It's a collective effort by many.
Can't tell you how many times guys in forums have bailed my *** out of a problem.

Thats a good deal........restoration will be $500.00, give or take.

The vendor is reputable too.

Thanks again! I'm going to take a chance and wait until after Carlisle to buy the ebay steering wheel. Might just find someone at the show selling one. Mine is a lighter shade of blue. I know being picky about a steering wheel color for a 33 year old car is crazy. Maybe I'll be lucky and the ebay steering wheel will still be available in 2 weeks.

:eusa_eh: What!
I have to spell the whole thing out for you?
You can already guess the rest of the story.

:eusa_eh: What!
I have to spell the whole thing out for you?
You can already guess the rest of the story.

Ah, yeah...........maybe he couldn't find one. Perhaps the best one he could find was junk or maybe, just maybe you gave him the wrong address.

What I'm saying is, if a car is junk yard fodder, the steering wheel is gonna be crap.
I asked for, and got, the BEST he had.
The best of the crap was just that. Crap.
The worst of the crap is only slightly worse than the best of the crap. Or...
the best of the crap is only slightly better than the worst of the crap.
Regardless, ALL the wheels out there are crap. It's just a matter of degree of crap.

What I'm saying is, if a car is junk yard fodder, the steering wheel is gonna be crap.

Thas B.S. Stan, I expect different from you.

I pulled a gorgeous dash pad and steering wheel from a 71 Sport Suburban 10 years ago. The car had been in the yard since the later 70's, and that a Jersey car. A Canadian car would be more likely to have a nicer wheel but they are out there.......depends on the circumstances.

Yes, Iwas being a drama queen and went over the top in my descrption of how hard it is to find a good wheel. Thought you would understand the gist of the story and appreciate the humor.

All I can say is wow on the price of just a steering wheel. I'll look around for one at the show. The steering wheel I thought was going to be a easy swap with a Grant, then thought maybe a replacement was a reasonably priced option, and now it may have to move back down the list a ways. I'll start another thread about my questions about lean burn/intake and carb replacement.

Back