Headlight cover motor - 300

AJW300

Reaction score
Hi all!!!

70's Chrysler 300

Having an issue with the headlight cover motor. It's been working perfectly fine after I replaced the relay but now, upon closing the doors, the motor seems to want to keep going, despite the doors already being closed. This causes an awful noise and I am worried about damaging the motor. Has anyone come across this before or have any suggestions as to what to look at first, before I delve too far?

There is a switch plate inside the motor gear cover. (Swith is under the cover for the square hole for the operating rod) The cam on the gear is supposed to open the switch contacts to stop the motor once the doors are closed. Usually your condition will be caused by damage to the switch. If you remove the motor from the car, turn the motor knob until the index points on the outside of the case line up and you can safely remove the switch cover for inspection. The is a mark on the case and a mark on the square hole for the operating rod that needs to be aligned to remove the cover without damage to the switch. Do not take off the cover under the knob or you will destroy the brush holder for the motor.

Dave

There is a switch plate inside the motor gear cover. (Swith is under the cover for the square hole for the operating rod) The cam on the gear is supposed to open the switch contacts to stop the motor once the doors are closed. Usually your condition will be caused by damage to the switch. If you remove the motor from the car, turn the motor knob until the index points on the outside of the case line up and you can safely remove the switch cover for inspection. The is a mark on the case and a mark on the square hole for the operating rod that needs to be aligned to remove the cover without damage to the switch. Do not take off the cover under the knob or you will destroy the brush holder for the motor.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you, I'll give this a go and see how it looks inside.

In the instance I find some damage, are these repairable or do I need to find a new switch?

Hi Dave,

Thank you, I'll give this a go and see how it looks inside.

In the instance I find some damage, are these repairable or do I need to find a new switch?
Most of the time you can take some fine sandpaper and clean the contacts if needed, then it is a matter of checking the switch as the gear is rotated using the manual knob to see if the points align properly and open and close when they are supposed to.

Dave

Most of the time you can take some fine sandpaper and clean the contacts if needed, then it is a matter of checking the switch as the gear is rotated using the manual knob to see if the points align properly and open and close when they are supposed to.

Dave
Hopefully so! Thanks for the guidance, I will be checking that soon and come back with an update!!

Back