Heavy Metal

8 minutes inside Chrysler's Sterling Heights Stamping plant

advertised as shot six years ago, said then to be making the body panels for Dodge Grand Caravan, Dart and Durango; Chrysler Pacifica and 200; Jeep Grand Cherokee, Compass, Patriot; and Ram Trucks.

I love stamping plants (foundries, and engine plants) .. "heavy metal as its finest. my recollection working IN stampling plants in late 1970's as summer replacement help, was they were LOUDER and more "SEISMIC.

Still, a flat piece of metal goes in and comes out with shapes .. basically stamping metal ain't changed in a century, even IF its, as it seems to me, MUCH quieter and cleaner work.

One of the largest (pressure) hydraulic presses ever. Specs under pics.

These things need foundations up to a hundred feet deep .. or otherwise on bedrock (like a bridge or a skyscraper) to stand the pressures.

Originally part of the United States Heavy_Press_Program (1950-1957). Could be another whole post but I'll leave it to intested parties to check out this 25 minute vintage video. Remarkable what engineers/builders can come up with.

The spoils of WWII (from dismantling Nazi Germany after it was over) the US and Russia's aerospace industries got industrial press technology that revolutionized the Reich's aircraft. Bet there's intriguing Cold War story there.

What did the Russians and Allies take after the war?

Among other things, how to make huge, lightweight pressed metal parts out of magnesium and titanium. These parts "break" when hammered into shapes. The Nazi Germans perfected a new process: controlled speed hot forming.

Example of such a part? This titanium forging (left) turned into a stamping (right) of a main F-15 bulkhead (a vertical "wall" in an airplane).

Not sure where this part is in the plane, but shape looks amidships, wing structure/spars overtop, dual engine "bays" through the "arches" I drew red box to guess where a BIG one-piece part shaped like this could be ..somebody correct me if you know for sure.

1680978050018.png

ENGINE SHUT-DOWN CYLINDER.png

This part was done by the Alcoa Press below. Nicknamed the "50" for 50,000 lbs of pressing force. That's a lot .. to make this titanium buikhead above.

sources: Iron Giant, The world's largest hydraulic presses | Gasparini Industries

circa 1950's
800px-Mesta_press_east_side.jpg

circa 2009
forging-press-1955-mesta-alcoa-50000-tons.jpg

Made by Mesta Machinery, weighs 8000 tonnes and is 27 metres high. Its table measures 7900*3700 mm and has a stroke of 1800 mm.

Aluminium giant Alcoa, which has operated the machine since 1955, bought it from the US government in 1982. In 2009, the press had to stop for repairs due to cracks in the basement.

The retrofit cost about $100 million and will guarantee at least another 50 years of operation.

Its 14 major structural components, cast in ductile iron, weigh as much as 250 tons each; those yard-thick steel bolts are also 78 feet long; all told, the machine weighs 16 million pounds

When activated its eight main hydraulic cylinders deliver up to 50,000 tons of compressive force.

If the logistics could somehow be worked out, the Fifty could bench-press [yes, like a weightlifter on his back by analogy to put the capacity in perspective] the battleship Iowa, with 860 tons to spare.

The US's other 50,000 ton press. A Loewy-manfacturer machine operatin at Wyman-Gordon in Masschusetts.

forging-press-wyman-gordon-50000-tons.jpg

The second was built by Loewy Hydropress and operated by Wyman-Gordon at Air Force Plant 63 in Grafton, Massachusetts since October 1955. Its hydraulic circuit uses a water-oil emulsion at a pressure of 310 bar with a flow rate of 45,000 litres/min.

Both machines are used to produce aircraft components such as the Boeing 747, the Stealth bomber, and the F-35 Joint Strike fighter aircraft.

Not the biggest. The French, Japanese, and Russians have 65,000 ton presses.

The Chinese have a 80,000 ton press (below). The Chinese are rather secretive about what they use their mega press for. Probably same as everybody else. military and aerospace.

source: https://min.news/en/tech/62c18849020317538aec1842d89bc8b9.html.

_nc_ohc=P-fmkcUJCxUAX8oWpGj&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

So how do you BUILD a heavy press below (one of the worlds biggest) to do these Heavy metal components?

source: Weber Metals’ New 60,000-Ton Hydraulic Press
1681081843101.png

1681081747448.png

The press itself is miracle of metal work and engineeing design/construction themselves. six minute video will give you a sense.

A third of its overall height is below grade. The big round, shiny "piston" looking thing is a SOLID, 70+ foot single=piece forging (second photo from top is ONE [outta maybe 16 total] of them getting made).

1681082959932.png
1681082974965.png

Again, you are seeing PARTS of a 60,000 ton (540 newton-meter force) hydraulic press being made and the press installed by SMS Company at Weber Metals in Califormia.

Last edited:
Most powerful rocket ever. Even beats the colossus, and one of my Heavy Metal favs, of the 1960's/70's. The Saturn V

Scheduled for 9am EDT, April 17. SpaceX's "Starship". To orbit and back, 90 minute flight. This my be the one of the platforms that, hype aside, can get us to Mars one day.

we'll see if they put it up there today.

Saturn V - Apollo 11 launch July 1969
1200px-Apollo_11_Launch_-_GPN-2000-000630.jpg

SpaceX Starship
1965 Sport fury.png
1965 Sport fury.png
1681730359105.png

source: What time is SpaceX's 1st Starship and Super Heavy launch on April 17?, Saturn V vs SpaceX Starship: How These Mega Capacity Rockets Compare

Last edited:
source: Why It Takes A Big Rocket To Reach Mars

spacex-grid-1200x800.jpg

Why these big-a** rockets are needed to get to Mars? "Simple" matter of "delta-V" as the rocketeers say. The understand the diagram below, you may need to check the link at top.

deltav.png

Exerpt from link above.

"It all comes down to delta-v, or how much you can change the velocity of your rocket.

Once in Earth orbit, getting to Mars will require even more rocket power to overcome what is known as delta-v. This is the amount of speed a spacecraft needs to gain or lose to reach your destination.

It takes much more delta-v to reach the surface of Mars than it does the surface of the Moon. To reach Mars you not only have to overcome Earth's gravity, you have to overcome the Sun's pull as you travel toward Mars.

You also have to account for the fact that the orbital speed of Mars is slower than the orbital speed of Earth. Finally you have to overcome the gravity of Mars to land softly on its surface.

All of this adds to the total amount of needed delta-V. "

Most powerful rocket ever. Even beats the colossus, and one of my Heavy Metal favs, of the 1960's/70's. The Saturn V

Scheduled for 9am EDT, April 17. SpaceX's "Starship". To orbit and back, 90 minute flight. This my be the one of the platforms that, hype aside, can get us to Mars one day.

we'll see if they put it up there today.

Saturn V - Apollo 11 launch July 1969
View attachment 591853

SpaceX Starship
View attachment 591852View attachment 591851View attachment 591848

source: What time is SpaceX's 1st Starship and Super Heavy launch on April 17?, Saturn V vs SpaceX Starship: How These Mega Capacity Rockets Compare
A "Wet Dress rehearsal" today due to a pressurization issue. Maybe it will happen Wednesday, so I can watch it.

A "Wet Dress rehearsal" today due to a pressurization issue. Maybe it will happen Wednesday, so I can watch it.
looks like another window is open between 8:30 am and 9:30 am CDT tomorrow Thursday 4/20.

We'll see.

recall this thing uses 33 (thirty-three) Raptor engines. Link below shows a video of a seven-second "static" test firing of 31 of 33 engines in Feb 2023.

Seems rather complex in terms of number of places to go wrong but this is the design they settled on years ago.

1681950677913.png
1681950704721.png

SpaceX's huge Starship booster conducts historic 31-engine burn (video)

Post in thread 'Heavy Metal' Heavy Metal

Last edited:
230420_abcnl_spacex_launch_hpMain_12x5_992.jpg
losion-2-ap-ps-20420_1682001844630_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

It took off ..yay! Ir blew up in filight ..yay?

The reactions (a "rapid unscheduled dis-assembly") from the SpaceX produced video below.

I didn't see the launch live, but got updates along the way on my phone. Didn't see it all until after work.

As it watched it, I was "cheering" that they got it off the ground. Quite an achievement.

Then, I saw it flipping "end over end" at the time they said it was time for booster and starship to separate. Even my non-expert eyes knew that was NOT what a rocket is supposed to ever do.

Then, with sad reminders of Challenger accident, it blew up. Then people cheered who were watching it locally.

Turns out SpaceX said its "flight termination system" caused the whole thing to "self destruct" when the separation did NOT occur as scheduled as it was veering off its planned trajectory because "multiple booster rockets were out"

I count 29 engines running, not 33 btw. Maybe that's how its supposed to work before separation? Seems odd if so.

1682074847047.png

So, going too slow, losing altitude, flipping end over end, AND it would not separate, SpaceX then commanded the booster and the starship to blow themselves up.

SpaceX confirms it triggered 'flight termination system'

Failures sometimes teach more valuable lessons than successes. Space/rocketry activities over the decades have proved this over and over. A lot went right with this launch, and thankfully from a learning perspective a lot went WRONG -- which is good.

The SpaceX "spin" on the whole thing kinda put me off a bit. AT first.

BUT ... I get "why" the cheering" when it blew up this was an unmanned TEST flight .. this is when you WANT to see what thing might do.

They (the SpaceX and NASA teams) really have done as GREAT many things WELL just to get it up there in the first place. This failure is invaluable to learnings to make it all better in the future - while keeping people safe.

1682075343125.png

Some stuff to iron out before we put people on this thing. AND, before the full potential of space and earth flight vision of SpaceX can be realized (Mars and one day NY to Tokyo in 60 minutes)

Last edited:
View attachment 592295View attachment 592296

It took off ..yay! Ir blew up in filight ..yay?

The reactions (a "rapid unscheduled dis-assembly") from the SpaceX produced video below.

I didn't see the launch live, but got updates along the way on my phone. Didn't see it all until after work.

As it watched it, I was "cheering" that they got it off the ground. Quite an achievement.

Then, I saw it flipping "end over end" at the time they said it was time for booster and starship to separate. Even my non-expert eyes knew that was NOT what a rocket is supposed to ever do.

Then, with sad reminders of Challenger accident, it blew up. Then people cheered who were watching it locally.

Turns out SpaceX said its "flight termination system" caused the whole thing to "self destruct" when the separation did NOT occur as scheduled as it was veering off its planned trajectory because "multiple booster rockets were out"

I count 29 engines running, not 33 btw. Maybe that's how its supposed to work before separation? Seems odd if so.

View attachment 592277

So, going too slow, losing altitude, flipping end over end, AND it would not separate, SpaceX then commanded the booster and the starship to blew themselves up.

SpaceX confirms it triggered 'flight termination system'

Failures sometimes teach more valuable lessons than successes. Space/rocketry activities over the decades have proved this over and over. A lot went right with this launch, and thankfully from a learning perspective a lot went WRONG -- which is good.

The SpaceX "spin" on the whole thing kinda put me off a bit.

BUT ... I get "why" the cheering" when it blew up

They (the SpaceX and NASA teams) really have done as GREAT many things WELL just to get it up there in the first place. This failure is invaluable to learnings to make it all better in the future - while keeping people safe.

View attachment 592293

Some stuff to iron out before we put people on this thing. AND, before the full potential of space and earth flight vision of SpaceX can be realized (Mars and one day NY to Tokyo in 60 minutes)

They will correct the problem. Guaranteed. You are correct in that failures actually create a stronger team and more robust system.
There’s no flipping way that the extensive testing to verify everything on this spacecraft could be done in a reasonable amount of time.

It will be interesting to see what the failure is and when they will launch again.

Krupp's Essen, Germany, steelworks' 10,000 ton bending press​

3bc795b5e1e91873a6d8c28fa5aa7cc02c6a159b-jpg.jpg
This bending press is a pre-WWI (World War One) image, so around turn of the 20th Century. Krupp's Heavy Metal skills, and Germany's in Essen (Ruhr region) over 100 years ago were extraordinary.

the Ruhr region, and Essen in particular, was frequently an Allied bombing target in World War Two as well.

1682260736374.png

Below, is a circa 1900, 5,000 ton forging hammer at Krupp. It is shaping a huge chunk of steel, the piece itself maybe be glowing red hot in this B&W photo, into some other shape. Over 100 years ago.

You can see the various elements of the forging press. Its got "legs" and a piston-driven 'hammer" actually striking the cylindical part mutiple times to shape it,

You can see its huge piece of equipment in relation to the size of the workers.

1682260023692.jpeg

A modern analog hammer forging machine in color
1682260067067.png
1682261238303.png

The hammer (or press) raising/dropping on the metal, the red-hot metal being "spun" by the chains (or some other speciaized turning machine), so it can be shaped on all sides (into a block or maybe even a round shape like a gun barrel, propeller shaft, etc.) by the hammer/press.

15 minute video, but you need only watch the first two minutes to see how its done today.

Obviously modernized machinery, but essentially done as it was 100 years ago. Heat it, spin it, hammer it/press it while its red hot, and turn it into whatever heavy metal shape is needed.

Last edited:
What do you think this is gonna turn into? You racing folks may already know .. noobs like me had to watch vid.:)

1682772766076.png

1682772848352.png

6:15 to 9:10 below. Other neat stuff on either side in this 10 min. clip

Started as a solid, round bar, about 2 feet in diameter, 18 inchees thick, heated red hot, smashed (pressed) shaped, cut -- ALL while red hot. Ends up almost 3 feet in diamater and about 10 inches at thickest point, and precision-machined.

Before computerized robots, makes me wonder how they did this 100 years ago. Few human hands now, probably not so back then.

1682868614285.png
1682868635413.png
1682868654672.png
1682870178944.png
1682870395738.png
1682870201741.png
1682868723284.png

A train wheel. The larger one in contact with the rail. 10 minute video below, first five minutes tells the basic story.
1682868963730.png

Last edited:
Making an anvil out of a piece of railroad track .. with an angle grinder. Heavy Metal ..naw. But a lotta elbow grease it seems to me.

Does NOT say how long it took, what is cost (time, equipment, expendablles, etc)l.

Video is LONG (like 20 minutes) but he did it. I would not have thought it possible .. which is why I guess I dont do this work:)

1682876627553.png
1682876802592.png
1682876779460.png
1682876766193.png
1682877088213.png

Last edited:
NERD alert.

Train wheels .. WHO knew?. Some smart folks over 100 years ago it seems. :)

4 min. video that explains a basic but tranformative idea that contributed heavily to the development of modern railroading.

Short answer? Train wheels are NOT "flat" where they touch the rails.

1682877637976.png

Changing "tires" on trains?

All major railroads have/use "wheel shops" to change and/or refinish damaged wheels.

As #1995 points out, the shape of the wheel being correct helps prevent derailments. Every "wheel set (axle, plus two wheels, each part made from a SOLID piece of steel)" can weigh as much as 6,000 lbs (3 tons).

Plus, the rails get beat up too. Using a "grinding train" (a 1,200 HP heavy metal locomotive I never heard of till today), this train "resurfaces" damaged tracks by "driving" over sections of rail with grinding wheels (spraying water first so they don't start fires on the tracks/surrounding landscape) that resurface the track.

8 Minutes of vid to nerd out on details if interested.

1682880360055.png

1682880503002.png
1682880714196.png
1682881265926.png

Last edited:
The Boeing B-17 named '5 Grand' to celebrate the 5,000th B-17 to roll off the production line at the Seattle factory since Pearl Harbor. It was signed by every employee at Plant 5. The crew that flew 5 Grand to England stated that the extra weight of the painted signatures, added with the extra drag created by them, caused the plane to fly 7 mph slower than a normal B-17G. The plane was not repainted before being sent into combat and it is claimed that the bizarre look of the B-17 attracted a lot of attention from the German fighters. Boeing B-17 Bomber - The Flying Fortress - PlaneHistoria

6AA06932-137E-4950-82D3-BEE2F3FAD879.jpeg

Whaddyah think. How big? A one minute video & photo below will put it in perspective. I was surprised, though weight is unknown, one can infer it.

1683834981551.png
ent_77247_25449a8c5fc0c684c6b3ae9d74cde5b97c00a93b.png

oil-injected-bareshaft-screw-compressor.jpg?ext=.jpg
1683835603801.png

Last edited:
Back