Big Muskie and a Marion 7800
1725331724884.png

oh yeah.

Big Muskie - Wikipedia

1725363305362.png
1725364155021.png
1725579835831.png
1725579891787.png

we danced with this big rascal in this thread before, back in #318 and #1,242 for example.

Gone (built 1969, retired 1991, scrapped 1999) and likely never to be seen again ("strip mining" has gone out of favor in most countries, on the scale at least needing a machine this gigantic would ever be made again, $775 million in today's money).

Only the bucket remains. Big Muskie Bucket

1725364155021.png

1725580215193.png

Last edited:
On this day September 5, 1960 – A United States Navy McDonnell F4 H-1 Phantom II better known as the Rhino, “Double Ugly”, Ol’Smokey, “Lead Sled”"The St Louis Slugger”and “The World's Largest Distributor of MiG Parts” sets a world speed record over a 500-km (310.5-mi) closed-circuit course, averaging 1,216.78 mph!

IMG_2277.jpeg

On this day September 5, 1960 – A United States Navy McDonnell F4 H-1 Phantom II better known as the Rhino, “Double Ugly”, Ol’Smokey, “Lead Sled”"The St Louis Slugger”and “The World's Largest Distributor of MiG Parts” sets a world speed record over a 500-km (310.5-mi) closed-circuit course, averaging 1,216.78 mph!

View attachment 680625
I read another interesting post on Facebook.

I guess I have an affinity with the F-4. Ever since the Blue Angels rocked the grandstands at an air show that I was at back in 1972, I believe.
I got a revisit of the F-4S at Point Mugu when I was working there on the F-14…

————————————————————

Why were the wings of the F-4 Phantom bent up and the tail of the Phantom bent down?

The unique design of the F-4 Phantom, with its wings, bent upwards and its tail bent downwards, was a result of meticulous engineering aimed at addressing specific aerodynamic challenges. The upward bend of the wings, known as dihedral, and the downward bend of the tail, known as anhedral, were crucial for enhancing the aircraft's stability and control at high speeds.

The dihedral angle of the wings, which is the upward tilt, was introduced to improve the lateral stability of the aircraft. During the development of the F-4, wind tunnel tests revealed that the aircraft experienced lateral instability at speeds above Mach 2. This instability could cause the aircraft to roll uncontrollably, which would be dangerous during high-speed flight. By angling the outer portions of the wings upwards by 12 degrees, the engineers were able to counteract this tendency, ensuring that the F-4 remained stable and controllable even at supersonic speeds.

On the other hand, the anhedral angle of the tailplane, which is the downward tilt, was designed to enhance the aircraft's maneuverability. The F-4 Phantom was a large and heavy aircraft, and without the anhedral tail, it would have been less responsive to pilot inputs, particularly during combat maneuvers. The 23-degree anhedral angle of the tailplane helped to improve the aircraft's roll rate and overall agility, making it more effective in dogfights and other dynamic flight situations.

The distinctive "dogtooth" indentation on the wings was another design feature aimed at improving control at higher angles of attack. This feature helped to delay the onset of aerodynamic stall, allowing the F-4 to maintain better control during aggressive maneuvers.

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

Back