Heavy Metal

The cool things we created before computers or A.I. Just awesome!
Yes! I am always amazed at what has been built.

Here's another one. I saw it on a show about mechanical marvels. I wish there was a man stranding there to see the scale. And you can't see what's below! A sewer pump in London:

1727896505775.png

The Pratt & Whitney R-4360 is truly a marvel of aviation engineering, often considered the final masterpiece of the piston engine era. This impressive 28-cylinder radial engine produced up to 3,800 horsepower, showcasing remarkable power and performance for its time.

One of the standout features is its engine mounts, strategically designed to align with the center of gravity. This design consideration helped ensure stability and efficiency during operation, a testament to the meticulous engineering involved in its creation.

What’s even more fascinating is that these engines were developed using slide rules and other manual calculations, demonstrating the ingenuity and skill of engineers before the age of computers. The R-4360 remains an iconic symbol of innovation in aviation history, embodying the pinnacle of piston engine design.

#PrattAndWhitney #R4360 #AviationHistory #AircraftEngines #EngineeringMarvel #PistonEngine #AviationEngineering #ClassicAircraft #PowerfulEngineering #RadialEngine

IMG_2706.jpeg

The Pratt & Whitney R-4360 is truly a marvel of aviation engineering, often considered the final masterpiece of the piston engine era. This impressive 28-cylinder radial engine produced up to 3,800 horsepower, showcasing remarkable power and performance for its time.

One of the standout features is its engine mounts, strategically designed to align with the center of gravity. This design consideration helped ensure stability and efficiency during operation, a testament to the meticulous engineering involved in its creation.

What’s even more fascinating is that these engines were developed using slide rules and other manual calculations, demonstrating the ingenuity and skill of engineers before the age of computers. The R-4360 remains an iconic symbol of innovation in aviation history, embodying the pinnacle of piston engine design.

#PrattAndWhitney #R4360 #AviationHistory #AircraftEngines #EngineeringMarvel #PistonEngine #AviationEngineering #ClassicAircraft #PowerfulEngineering #RadialEngine

View attachment 685246
hear hear. magniificent machine.

repeat from another thread. 4360 and other awesome radials running. about 10 minutes each.

Last edited:
Back