Hei distributor date code

FuriousIronworker

Reaction score
I've been looking for half the morning and haven't found anything that makes me feel like I know the answer. I need an HEI distributor, a stock Mopar small block circa early 70s. I'm looking for a definitive answer on the date code numbers: which three numbers are the production date code in a seven digit part number or stamp? Ex. 3655572 as I understand it. This could be a March 1965 or a May 1972 distributor. I just don't know which three numbers to go with. Thank you for any help.

I've been looking for half the morning and haven't found anything that makes me feel like I know the answer. I need an HEI distributor, a stock Mopar small block circa early 70s. I'm looking for a definitive answer on the date code numbers: which three numbers are the production date code in a seven digit part number or stamp? Ex. 3655572 as I understand it. This could be a March 1965 or a May 1972 distributor. I just don't know which three numbers to go with. Thank you for any help.
None of the digits in the part number are tied to the date.

HEI is a GM term for their electronic ignition, but since we can assume you are looking for an electronic distributor, you could rule out 1965 as that distributor still has points.

Let's ask a question... DO you really need a date coded distributor? Lot's of guys get hung up on the date codes when in reality, their car is never going to be judged at a show to that level. If you want it, great... But if not, why go down that rabbit hole.

I'm not sure where the date code would be on that distributor, so I can't help with that. @halifaxhops might be able to tell you and even sell you a rebuilt distributor.

The part number is just a part number, if there is a date code on a part it is a different number and there are different date code systems in use.

That part number doesn't come up on any list that I have.
Do you have a distributor or an application you are looking for a distributor for?

Alan

All I'm looking for is an early 70s electronic ignition distributor for a small black Mopar. It doesn't have to be any more specific than that. I don't care about date codes. I just want that timeframe.

All I'm looking for is an early 70s electronic ignition distributor for a small black Mopar. It doesn't have to be any more specific than that. I don't care about date codes. I just want that timeframe.

The reason I wanted to know about the date code stamp is so I can look at part with a stamp on it and verify that it's from that timeframe
Get in touch with this guy: For Sale - MOPAR REFURBISHED DISTRIBUTORS

If you are looking at a selection of distributors and need to find a small block. Hold it in your right hand just below the vacuum advance canister, it will be pointing with your fingers. Big block in left hand and the vacuum canister will point with fingers.
So now you look for the points or the electronic pick up and two wire plug for the electronic hook up. Here is a photo of an electronic distributor.
1722728523553.png
And a points style.
1722728795834.png

To me, the main thing you need to make sure of is the application for the unit, as in LA, B, or RB V-8 engines. Each has a unique-to-it shaft under it. What's inside can be variable, but once the total amount of advance is known, adjust the initial advance to match the desired total advance number. Even the stock unit has some variability in how fast the advance happens, just not the total.

MId-year 1971 on 340HP, I believe, was the first LA motor. Optional on others, especially in 1972, then std equipment on all in 1973?

Good luck,
CBODY67

Back