Horrible mind numbing vibration....

butchr66

Reaction score
'66 Fury III....318 poly...3spd. column shift...soon as I hit around 45mph starts vibrating bad and gets worse and worse till I get to around 80mph then it pretty much smooths out. Also stops when I get off the gas. I swear it feels like a U joint or maybe a weight fell off the driveshaft but the joints seem solid and no signs of a lost weight? I always had automatics and this is my first 3 peddler that I drive alot. Any ideas what could cause a vibration like that??? THANKS

Absolutely mandatory you start with the u-joints otherwise no sense in going on.
Just do it.

Absolutely mandatory you start with the u-joints otherwise no sense in going on.
Just do it.

Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking but, man.....I can't em to move at all with the big ole screwdriver test. I've had ball and trunnions go so bad I could shake the driveshaft with my hand and the cars didn't vibrate this bad. Gonna pick up U joints tomorrow but I really don't think they're the culprit. ugh

Pressure plate then,

AHAA!!! I HAVE been hearing like a rubbing/scratching sound at low speed like pulling away from a light and such. Sounds like something scratching the bellhousing but I peek with my bad eyes and see nothing. Is there like a bearing or something? Like an input shaft bearing maybe?

I'd say your converter bolts are getting loose. They'll make that sound, and wallow out to vibrate.

It's a 3spd manual car...so not much chance of the converter coming loose....;) :)

Does the car have a solid one piece drive shaft, or does it appear to be a tube within a tube?

I'd say your converter bolts are getting loose. They'll make that sound, and wallow out to vibrate.

OMG so '66 manual transmissions had a torque converter!!! Oooooh the humanity!!!! I feel so out of the loop now! ugh lol it's not an auto, sir ;)

It's a 3spd manual car...so not much chance of the converter coming loose....;) :)

Does the car have a solid one piece drive shaft, or does it appear to be a tube within a tube?

Solid. Seriously, I been in this game a long time and everything tells me driveshaft/U joints but I'm turning up zero. I even scoured the carb like maybe some weird cavitation or something? Getting my *** kicked on this one

Look at the bushing in the trans tail shaft housing. Sounds like the slip yoke is not far enough into it, likely due to a drive shaft being to short.
At ride height there should be 1/2" to 3/4" of lateral movement of the slip yoke. Any more then that is excessive and will cause a vibration.

I basically have no clutch but would that do it? I've driven all kinds of sticks over the years but never had bad vibrations for a worn clutch. weird

Look at the bushing in the trans tail shaft housing. Sounds like the slip yoke is not far enough into it, likely due to a drive shaft being to short.
At ride height there should be 1/2" to 3/4" of lateral movement of the slip yoke. Any more then that is excessive and will cause a vibration.

Yeah but could that happen all the sudden? I haven't touched anything except driveline related at all except the clutch linkage. And my momma didnt raise no fool

If only speed related and not rpm, I would start looking at suspension/tires....

Ters.

Nah tires and weights are ok. Front end bushings are shot but they wont cause a violent vibration then drop off like she's doing. And yes, I replaced the motor/transmission mounts already.

Sure, not being pushy though... Vibration on steering wheel, or seat?

Ters.

Nah the whole car. Steering wheel is solid so not a front end problem. Everything points to drivetrain but I cant find anything. Weird

Back