How to clean a gas tank

spstan

Reaction score
Watching Simon Fordman working on a Torino on You Tube. The guy is brilliant (no words spoken, no emotional outbursts when things go wrong; just a steady, methodical step by step process). So he takes the gas tank out and puts nuts and bolts and chains in the tank. Then he welds a bar to the back wheel and straps the gas tank to the bar. Then he starts the car, puts it in drive and lets the rear wheel spin the gas tank. He then empties the tank of all the bolts and the chain and the rust and puts a couple of gallons of muriatic acid in the tank. Tank comes out almost perfectly clean.

I want to clean the tank on my New Yorker but I don't know if I could do this process. What's the best way; take it to a mechanic or a radiator shop? How much should I expect to pay? Thanks Paul

Depending on how dirty/rusty your tank is, there is another option. Mix up 5 gallons of HOT water with a liberal amount 9f dawn dish soap. Get a carton/tube/box of BB's and put them in the tank with the soap. Shake, rock agitate the tank for as long as you feel is necessary. Dump it out over a piece of screen or a strainer to catch the BB's. Rinse it out good. Not clean? Do it as many times as necessary. Satisfied with how it looks. Let it set for a couple of days to dry out and reinstall it.

Take it to a radiator shop. They can hot tank it. They drill a small hole in a corner for drainage, then weld it up when finished. Works great!

Back