How to lower rear suspension?

josehf34

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how can I lower my '74 Fury rear suspension because I've the feeling that is too high. I know the front suspension can be adjusted with the help of torsion bars but I don't have idea how to deal with the rear suspension level

Lowering blocks easiest or rear shackle sliders. If you go with blocks get the billitt ones. Mancini Racing has them in several sizes. Pick your poision

mmm But, aren't lowering blocks for lowering the car more than factory level? I mean, right now my car looks like is higher than the factory brochures, manuals, everything.

Do I have to use lowering blocks for this?
if yes, What can of disadvantages the lowering block have?

The billitt blocks can be cut to desired height. The smallest I'm aware of is 3/4. If that too low trim it. wack off a bit

mmm But, aren't lowering blocks for lowering the car more than factory level? I mean, right now my car looks like is higher than the factory brochures, manuals, everything.

Do I have to use lowering blocks for this?
if yes, What can of disadvantages the lowering block have?
A nice side view would really help us in giving you help.

Pick up a 1" block kit. Hold the load of the spring with a floor jack before you cut the old U-bolts out.

I'm trying to figure out how can I lower my '74 Fury rear suspension because I've the feeling that is too high. I know the front suspension can be adjusted with the help of torsion bars but I don't have idea how to deal with the rear suspension level

Maybe the FRONT of the car is too low. I don't know what the specs are for ride height, but maybe a little turn on your torsion bars would do the trick. . .

Maybe the FRONT of the car is too low. I don't know what the specs are for ride height, but maybe a little turn on your torsion bars would do the trick. . .
That's why I asked for pics first while everybody else is scrambling for their tools....

I think they meant of the outside of the car :)

mmmm 7 leafs..... they just wont have sagged like everyone who has only 4 lol

Maybe the previous owner added three extra leafs? How many leafs does this cars had from factory?

Nop the front seems to be hight too but I know the height can be adjusted with the torsion bar knobs

That's why I asked for pics first while everybody else is scrambling for their tools....

Here's the pic:

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/josehf34/20150108_171443_zpsqy8vl4dz.jpg

OK... something is amiss here, the front wheels don't look centered in the wheel arch, unless it's just the angle of the pic for starters. It looks like the center of the wheels seem to be back too far. It also seems like the wheels or the tires are the wrong sizes.Changing the ride height is not as simple as just lowering or raising the front end by cranking the torsion bars up or down because that affects the alignment and therefore the drivability of the car. The car can become twitchy if not done properly without other alignment adjustments. It's my opinion that if you had the proper size tires, and or wheels it might be ok.

OK... something is amiss here, the front wheels don't look centered in the wheel arch, unless it's just the angle of the pic for starters. It looks like the center of the wheels seem to be back too far. It also seems like the wheels or the tires are the wrong sizes.Changing the ride height is not as simple as just lowering or raising the front end by cranking the torsion bars up or down because that affects the alignment and therefore the drivability of the car. The car can become twitchy if not done properly without other alignment adjustments. It's my opinion that if you had the proper size tires, and or wheels it might be ok.

That photo was taken before tires change (same size 235/75R15, just a new set) and front-end rebuild, this weekend will take a new picture and post it

:sSig_thanks:

Still waiting for a flat on side view....
See below.

Why are we making this so hard, Jose¿

Back