I damaged the edge of my drum

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It must be work on your '66 300 drums week. Before I knew what I was doing I took a sliver out of my drum. I figured that with all the problems removing the drums that I would be replacing them, because the shoes would have been set in a groove.

To my surprise the drums are in really good shape and I was going to keep them. I forgot to take a picture before I left the shop. The damage is to the to the back edge extends into the drum about a 1/4" but moves around the edge about 4". Is there any reason why I can't use this drum?

As said above, I agree it's pretty likely to cause a problem.
Congrats on your new door stop.
The bright side? They're still available for not much money.

It sounds like it is too big of a chunk. I didn't know how much balance of the drum effected braking.

Do I need to replace the drums in pair and while I'm asking brake questions what brake fluid should I use?

Do I need to replace the drums in pair and while I'm asking brake questions what brake fluid should I use?

NO... Replacing drums in pairs is not necessary, but it sounds like you will need to replace the damaged one.
DOT 3 fluid is OEM and works fine, I like to use DOT 5 just because it resists moisture build up in the hydralic system.

I did have a picture of the damage. I wanted to show also how the shoes would not release from the drum. Brake drums sm damage.jpg

Brake drums sm damage.jpg

Thanks for the pic...and yes the drum is Fubard. Me personally...I would replace the drums as a pair. But that's just me.

Before you attempted to remove the drums you did release all the tension from the self adjusting mechanism, right? That would be the star wheel there at the bottom.

NO... Replacing drums in pairs is not necessary, but it sounds like you will need to replace the damaged one.
DOT 3 fluid is OEM and works fine, I like to use DOT 5 just because it resists moisture build up in the hydralic system.

*VERY IMPORTANT* You can't mix DOT 3 and DOT 5 brake fluid. Dot 5 is synthetic. You have to flush the DOT 3 out and then fill and bleed the brakes with DOT 5.

IMHO, I would replace the drums in pairs unless the drums were replaced recently. I would also replace the brake shoes unless they were replaced recently. I would also pull the rubber seals back on the wheel cylinders...and if wet with brake fluid means the wheel cylinders is leaking. Replace the wheel cylinders. Inspect the brake adjusters to make sure thet aren't seized or binding. I would also replace the brake hardware kit (springs, holdowns,etc.). The hardware kits are about $10. The wheel cylinders are around $20 each if you need them. Brake shoes are cheap too. Your local parts places will have or can get most of the parts for you.
I just go through the whole brake system and inspect/replace what is needed every time I pull the drums off.

Thanks guys. I turned the adjustment wheel and the shoes were froze to the drums. They never released until I completely pulled them off. The wheel cylinders are complete toast. The whole brake system is going to be a complete rebuild. I'm going to change it to a duel master cylinder. All the brake fluid is going to be completely flush out of the system.

Last edited:
I was looking at buying the Cardone dual master brake cylinder with the power booster. It mentioned with or without field installed Hydro-Vac. How can I identify if I have this or not. Here is a picture.

The 383.jpg

The 383.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Zymurgy;30243]Thanks guys. I turned the adjustment wheel and the shoes were froze to the drums. They never released until I completely pulled them off. The wheel cylinders are complete toast. The whole brake system is going to be a complete rebuild. I'm going to change it to a duel master cylinder. All the brake fluid is going to be completely flush out of the system.[/QUOTE]

I recently bought brake shoes, spring kits, self adjustors, wheel cylinders and all three flex break lines and front hub seals for my 65 Coronet through Rockauto.com. Total cost including shipping... $149.00. Everything arrived within 4 days and everything was right.

Good point about not mixing DOT 3 and DOT 5 fluid. No real safety hazard but you lose the advantage of the more expensive DOT 5 fluid by mixing it

In all honesty, I have never heard of this "hydro-pac" thingie.
I googled it and came up with nothing but a YouTube video of WW II trucks using Hydro-vac brakes. LOL
My guess, because of the term "field installed" means the non-factory OEM unit.
I'd call RockAuto and then Cardone directly.
From your picture, your booster is the "single" diagphram" booster if that's of any help.

Back