I need cold air!

mlrjr

Reaction score
Ok. Trying to get some cold air in the south!! It’s hot. My 67 Polara Wagon is my daily driver. I have evac & recharged and finally determined my compressor was partly dead. We could not get the top half to take a charge. I have since bought a refurbished compressor and installed a new drier. For the first time I had three or four days of cold air and condensation dripping under my car!!! Seems to possibly had a Freon leak somewhere. I have put some dye in and recharged. Anything I am missing??

Which gas are you using? R-12, R-134a, or otherwise? Or had the system already been converted ro R-13a?

Just curious,
CBODY67

if your gauge readings verified that the charge was low after a week, yes you have a leak somewhere

You put dye in. I assume youve run it for a few days..... is the dye not giving a clue whats leaking?? If not, try using the blacklight in the spot in the driveway where condensation has dripped from the evaporator.... it may help clue you in before tearing into the heater box, maybe for no reason.

Hi All, I can't get into my B Body Forum right now but this problem should be the same for all Mopars.
Its a 74 Dodge Charger, it sat for many years. I vacuumed the system for about 30 hour and it held for at least 5. I used 1 can of 134a stop leak and 2 1/2 cans of just 134a.
Air worked great for about 3 weeks, used it Saturday worked fine.
Yesterday leaving work air did not cool just warm air, clutch kicks in and no bubbles in the site glass and I have checked it often.
The receiver dryer is cool to the touch as well as the low side hose.
Could it be the expansion valve, all the doors open and close as they should.
need some guidance.
Thanks, Steve

Hi All, I can't get into my B Body Forum right now but this problem should be the same for all Mopars.
Its a 74 Dodge Charger, it sat for many years. I vacuumed the system for about 30 hour and it held for at least 5. I used 1 can of 134a stop leak and 2 1/2 cans of just 134a.
Air worked great for about 3 weeks, used it Saturday worked fine.
Yesterday leaving work air did not cool just warm air, clutch kicks in and no bubbles in the site glass and I have checked it often.
The receiver dryer is cool to the touch as well as the low side hose.
Could it be the expansion valve, all the doors open and close as they should.
need some guidance.
Thanks, Steve
High side low side pressure?

Really need to know some pressures, and the system charge by weight that the unit calls for. Why did you use stop leak if the ststem pumped down and stayed there?? Is the suction line sweating, or just cool?? Any improvement at highway speed??

Really need to know some pressures, and the system charge by weight that the unit calls for. Why did you use stop leak if the ststem pumped down and stayed there?? Is the suction line sweating, or just cool?? Any improvement at highway speed??
The Low side is cool to the touch but not icy cold to where it sweats and the condensation drips on the ground, the Receiver Dryer is also cool to the touch.
The gauges I use are from Auto Zone and I'm not a fan of them ( My Son Bought Them ) .
I'll hook them up this weekend get some pressures for us.
There are no air bubbles in the system that I know for sure, I use to install units in cars 50 years ago and never had this kind of a problem.

The gauges I use are from Auto Zone and I'm not a fan of them
Should be good enough to tell us is the compressor is doing its thing, and maybe if there is a restriction in the system. An expansion valve slammed shut is a possibility.
BTW, for anyone that does not know.... those leak sealers for AC are basically salts.....the idea being the slightest bit of corrosion as it hits the open air is enough to seal or slow leaks way way down. I personally would not use such a thing on a known good system.

Back