Insurance issues.

celticwarlock

Reaction score
Greetings, all.

My 1969 NY just got dropped from American Collectors insurance. They claim that the car has to be worth at least $5K (they valued it at $4K), and added that it has actually depreciated recently, so they won't insure me. I don't see how that's possible, because it would be difficult to buy my car at that price (no visible rust, no dents, everything works, it runs beautifully, etc.).

This is ***-backwards, it seems, because the larger the loss, the greater the risk they assume, but anyway....

Do you guys have any recommendations for classic car insurance? My policy expires in a month, so I'd like to find a solution very soon.

I have my 69 Monaco 4dr HT insured with Haggerty with a stated value of $10,000. And it's no creampuff!
20240306_154841.jpg

Greetings, all.

My 1969 NY just got dropped from American Collectors insurance. They claim that the car has to be worth at least $5K (they valued it at $4K), and added that it has actually depreciated recently, so they won't insure me. I don't see how that's possible, because it would be difficult to buy my car at that price (no visible rust, no dents, everything works, it runs beautifully, etc.).

This is ***-backwards, it seems, because the larger the loss, the greater the risk they assume, but anyway....

Do you guys have any recommendations for classic car insurance? My policy expires in a month, so I'd like to find a solution very soon.

I've been with Hagerty for years now. They let you set the value, although I'm sure they might balk if the car was way overpriced. In this case, $5k for a decent '69 Chrysler seems pretty reasonable, in fact, I'd say it's on the low side.

I've had no experience with claims myself, but others have said there was never a problem. Everything else has been pretty good, although they do like to send the bill a little early, which seems to annoy Mrs. Big John a bit.

I've been with Hagerty for years now. They let you set the value, although I'm sure they might balk if the car was way overpriced. In this case, $5k for a decent '69 Chrysler seems pretty reasonable, in fact, I'd say it's on the low side.

I've had no experience with claims myself, but others have said there was never a problem. Everything else has been pretty good, although they do like to send the bill a little early, which seems to annoy Mrs. Big John a bit.
My agent steered me to Berkeley One. When I asked him about Haggerty, he said that he’s had a lot of denials and claim issues with Haggerty.

I haven’t had a claim with Berkeley One, so I’m not going to say don’t go either way. Your agent is the one to talk to.

So what are you guys paying for insurance premiums for your cars?

Do you have them as infrequently driven, not used for work, under a certain milage per year?

Do you have them as infrequently driven, not used for work, under a certain milage per year?
I will have to dig up my bill, but I want to say that for 4 cars (65 Ranchero, 65 Mustang, 68 Fury II 4 door sedan and the 69 Fury III very, it was less than 1k for all of them. Considerably less than other ‘normal’ insurance companies.

$505 per year for my 79 300 valued at $15000 and 69 Monaco valued at $10000. With Haggerty.

I'm wondering if there are sane insurance options in Canada / Ontario for infrequently driven classic cars, especially in households with only 1 or 2 licensed drivers, where you already insure 1 or 2 modern daily driver cars.

I believe that insurance is a crock, having it doesn't magically undo damage like it didn't happen. A house a block from me was hit by lightning last year in July. Even though fire crews were called within minutes, and came back again a few hours later, the house burned to the ground about 12 hours after the lightning strike. That house is now almost rebuilt and ready to move in. Maybe another month or two. For 10 months nothing happened on the site. This is what you get for having insurance.

I've been rebuilding my car this year, I don't insure it just for sitting there, it hasn't been driven for 25 years. I intend to drive it and finally enjoy it next spring / summer. I will only insure it for the minimum liability that the gov't legally requires, I won't put collision or comprehensive on it, like I don't for my other 2 daily drivers. Why not? Because insurance is a crock.

Back