John Force Wreck

Force took a good lick and has lived to talk about it. Clearly the safety/construction of these cars, plus he may have been lucky he didnt hit any fixed barriers perpendicularly (e.g., a "T-bone").

Many of us may recall Earnhart's fatal crash. It didn't look like the impact was such that he wouldn't live through that one. Versus other racing crashes where you get the immediate impression, at the time, that the driver didnt make it.

1719317001659.png

With Force, what looks more concerning to me than his car bouncing off walls at oblique angles (contrast that with Scott Kalitta's funny car accident at Englishtown .. oh my :(), was whatever blew up in the car (shrapenal risk).

Anyway, ole John seems to be physically ok . Best outcome given the inherent risk of this sport. He's still one of the best at his chosen professional .. and at 75 years old still doin' it at a high level.

Force took a good lick and has lived to talk about it. Clearly the safety/construction of these cars, plus he may have been lucky he didnt hit any fixed barriers perpendicularly (e.g., a "T-bone").

Many of us may recall Earnhart's fatal crash. It didn't look like the impact was such that he wouldn't live through that one. Versus other racing crashes where you get the immediate impression, at the time, that the driver didnt make it.

View attachment 668031

With Force, what looks more concerning to me than his car bouncing off walls at oblique angles (contrast that with Scott Kalitta's funny car accident at Englishtown .. oh my :(), was whatever blew up in the car (shrapenal risk).

Anyway, ole John seems to be physically ok . Best outcome given the inherent risk of this sport. He's still one of the best at his chosen professional .. and at 75 years old still doin' it at a high level.
I remember watching that race and when I saw him hit the wall, I said out loud "He's dead".

Basilar skull fracture - Wikipedia

They (NASCAR etc.) mandated the use of the HANS device and that has saved some lives. I noticed in one of the Force crash videos, he was wearing a HANS device. That may have saved his life, but that's speculation on my part.

I've always kind of admired Force. He came from nothing and got to where he is now.

He is one of the Best! I got see him in person one time at ennis texas, a regular guy who drives fast!

He is one of the Best! I got see him in person one time at ennis texas, a regular guy who drives fast!
I walked right into him at the Famoso Hot Rod Reunion one year. We both were looking at cars in the display area while walking at the same time. Ha!

Back