Just bought a 78 New Yorker

Those seat belts might be tough to find.

Not at all... :thumbsup:
I have used Seatbelt Planet a few times and every time perfect match...
Plus fast and I think affordable...
Aftermarket & Replacement Seat Belts | SeatbeltPlanet.com™
1718650276048.png

Yeah, I am going to try and bring the paint back. Want to keep her close to original. The guy I bought her from had a set of new olds stock skirts and the mounting hard ware in the trunk he just hadn't had time to put them on yet.
You don't need a repaint. My Imperials were as faded.

IMG_1420.jpeg

Those fender skirts may not work here, why? if there is a wheel lip for the screws to go into for the rear wheel trim. That is typically about 1/2" wide and cars with skirts have no wheel lip. Look at your skirts to see what I mean. The top two fasteners slide to the inside top of the rear quarter.
I was led to believe that simply removing the wheel opening trim, the skirtsfit in seamlessly.
I heard that from a friend...

I was led to believe that simply removing the wheel opening trim, the skirtsfit in seamlessly.
I heard that from a friend...
No, the rear quarter sheet metal has an approx. 1/3" indent that the skirt covers. If you look closely at the two clips, they provide pressure to the inside of the wheel well/wheel tub to hold it tight. The front of the skirt guide pins go in first, then the two clips holding it tight, and finally the oversized wingnut goes into the back end of the skirt.

No, the rear quarter sheet metal has an approx. 1/3" indent that the skirt covers. If you look closely at the two clips, they provide pressure to the inside of the wheel well/wheel tub to hold it tight. The front of the skirt guide pins go in first, then the two clips holding it tight, and finally the oversized wingnut goes into the back end of the skirt.
So, for 1978, Chrysler had two different rear quarter stampings based on whether you ordered the optional skirts...
:BangHead:

Brilliant. Absolutely effing brilliant.

So, for 1978, Chrysler had two different rear quarter stampings based on whether you ordered the optional skirts...

Apparently, if you're thinking that the skirts fasten with the single swinging latch attaching to the rear quarter wheel lip, this is different. I don't know what year Chrysler changed to the "1978 way". Look at these "For Sale" on Ebay, zoom into the back and look at the two clips that guide the skirts like I have described. According to the ad they did this 1974-1978 which match the years this body style was produced.
Used OEM Mopar RH+LH Fender Skirts 1974-78 Chrysler Imperial/New Yorker (LI95) | eBay

Last edited:

no they didnt have 2 different stampings, the indent is covered by the much wider wheel opening trim molding on non skirted cars.
which is kind of brilliant.
they also used a thicker molding on the front wheel opening to match.
i have a 4 piece set of the thicker moldings somewhere........

Tripple Burgundy, manual AC, 45,000 miles
Dammit, awesome find.
Did we see this one pass through here one time ?
I just picked up a 77 4 door White over White with Chocolate leather. It's got 64,600 on it. Same issues that you do, drivers window and the A/C. Does anyone know where I can find the hardtop window mouldings? Pictures will be up soon.

Nice car. So, it was ordered from the factory without fender skirts?, there's a video of another '78 New Yorker posted earlier without them as well.
I thought fender skirts were an option for 1978 although I think most still had them

802 is the body frame date. 811 is the BUILD date of the car.

Again, that premise does not fit with factory documents (broadcast sheets, door stickers, window stickers), common package car SPDs (A12 6bbl cars, Superbirds and Hursts), and research evidence (comparison of dated coded parts to SPDs)

Had her out driving this weekend. Put about 100 miles on her, using up the old gas and getting everything repeated. She starting to run pretty good. Windows and wipers are working again. Had the 69 out getting her ready for a road trip next month.
20240623_124941.jpg
20240623_140715.jpg

Yeah, I am going to try and bring the paint back. Want to keep her close to original. The guy I bought her from had a set of new olds stock skirts and the mounting hard ware in the trunk he just hadn't had time to put them on yet.

heres something to inspire you - we were stunned how it came out
1960 new yorker, toreador red parked outside for 30 years.
several hours of polishing in the evenings for 2 1/2 weeks

20240114_144644_resized.jpg

20240616_151122_resized.jpg

20240512_185028_resized.jpg

20240616_160207_resized.jpg

20240512_175028_resized.jpg

20240616_151122_resized.jpg

Back