Lean Burn and a Thermoquad...

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well....same old story.

1978 C-Body runs like crap with the TQ & Lean Burn.

The gas tank has been cleaned and new hoses at the tank, new fuel filter, and TQ cleaned. New plugs, wires, cap & rotor. Still runs like crap.

I'm going to try an Edelbrock 1406 and adapter plate on the stock manifold and see how it runs. I would like to save the Lean Burn on the Newport but it doesn't look promising....

Because you have to use the adapter (which is 3/4" thick) to mount the Eddie on the stock manifold , I will be VERY interested in seeing if the stock air cleaner still clears the hood.

Because you have to use the adapter (which is 3/4" thick) to mount the Eddie on the stock manifold , I will be VERY interested in seeing if the stock air cleaner still clears the hood.

No problem.......plenty of room. And I'm going to keep the stock air cleaner assembly too.

Cool............
How about the hard fuel line from the pump to the carb?
Same size fitting at the carb or do you have get an adapter?

Have you ditched the LB computer and converted to electronic ignition? Otherwise the Edelbrock will be very rich for LB. Did you try a new computer? Can rebuilds be had? You say the TQ was cleaned, does it need a rebuild perhaps?

Have you ditched the LB computer and converted to electronic ignition? Otherwise the Edelbrock will be very rich for LB. Did you try a new computer? Can rebuilds be had? You say the TQ was cleaned, does it need a rebuild perhaps?
Why bother? If if you find a NOS computer, it will likely crap the bed also.
Leanburn was a terrific concept. It's undoing was the state of the art in building computers for cars back then was in its infancy. The LB computers just can take the hostile environment of under the hood.

Posted via Topify on Android

I haven't eliminated anything yet. I have cleaned the TQ and made some adjustments. I did buy an Eddie 1406. I'll try it on the stock manifold and will probably go with the electronic ignition but keep everything in stock appearance under the hood.

I should......I've bought about a half dozen of those carbs over the years.

As much as I would like to keep one of them original (Lean Burn).........I never find one with it working.

I was given a NOS L.B. 'puter still in the box. He gave it to me because he can't throw anything away.
Didn't want to hurt his feelings, When I got home I threw it in the trash.

LB was an innovative idea and the prototype for all automotive computer systems....just didn't work right in the C-Bodies.

It'll just be in the scrap pile with the 1978 wiper cams.....

I think the eddy will bolt on (it has two bolt patterns). if you didn't buy the arm adapter/extension check your throttle pedal and carb wot I screwed this up on my bro in laws car cost me at least a 1/2 sec in 1/4 mile time if not more, I know your not going for that but just pointing out something to check. I think you would be better off ditching the lean burn, great idea but it is constantly retarding the timing for emissions, which is the reason for the multi-spark, all done without a feedback loop ( O2 sensor) I think this is why they are sluggish only feedback is vacuum.

I think the eddy will bolt on (it has two bolt patterns).
And you thought correctly sir. Thanks.

edelbrock_1406.jpg

Now...........

Are any/all of these needed?

Edelbrock/Chrysler Kickdown Extension Kit #8003/8004
4301.jpg

Throttle Lever Kit #1481
4298.jpg

Lever Adapter #1483pteL
LL
(Looks like it's needed to keep the Cruise Control?)
1483.jpg

Edelbrock 8090 - Edelbrock Carburetor Fuel Inlet Fitting
(to adapt to stock fuel line?)
350-8090.jpg

LB was an innovative idea and the prototype for all automotive computer systems....just didn't work right in the C-Bodies.

It'll just be in the scrap pile with the 1978 wiper cams.....

Ah, yes, then the 1406 will be just fine. Are you going Pertronix on Mopar electronic Ignition kit?

1481 is the only one I have ever used just put the throttle stud/kickdown stud off orig on the hole closest in picture. I think 1483 is for going from 2bbl to 4bbl with stock linkage. The top is for newbies or people who need to turn in their mopar card for not saving all those funny looking bolts and fittings from every mopar car they have touched took apart whatever. Fittings are what a good auto parts store is for and why they need to be patronized, I get most of these from my truck parts supplier.

Ah, yes, then the 1406 will be just fine. Are you going Pertronix on Mopar electronic Ignition kit?

Mopar is really the only choice. Petronix is fine just buy 2 on for the glove box because I don't think aap or az or o rielly has petronix on a sunday

I want to add that one Mopar forum said you need the for the correct CC adaptor. I dunno.

Edelbrock 8009
350-8009.jpg

All I know is that to hook the CC in my NYB to a 1406, I had to use this:

1484.jpg

because this is the CC lever on TQ's:

PW54_zpsa23c5f71.jpg

Mopar is really the only choice. Petronix is fine just buy 2 on for the glove box because I don't think aap or az or o rielly has petronix on a sunday

I always used the Mopar kit as well. I have heard mixed reviews of Pertronix- some love them some have had problems. Just wondering which way he was going.

Pertronix would allow him to keep the firewall clean and "look" like it was all stock as if he managed to still be running LB.

I always used the Mopar kit as well. I have heard mixed reviews of Pertronix- some love them some have had problems. Just wondering which way he was going.

Pertronix would allow him to keep the firewall clean and "look" like it was all stock as if he managed to still be running LB.
You can hide it in the old LB housing.

Posted via Topify on Android

Back